Which job first? skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im a newbie here and pretty much new to DIY alltogether but still pretty compitent

just got a 1 bed back to back in Leeds which needs work

Needs re-skimming as the walls are either coverd in textured wallpaper, rough, batterd etc. I want to do the whole house at once as it needs doing, i'll prob get someone in to do it.

I'v got an idea of what order i need to do things in, but as the architraves and skirtings need replacing, do i replace them then skim? or take them off and skim? I'll fit all them myself.

also, need a re-wire, central heating, new kitchen and bathroom, new windows and door. Do I leave the skimming till i have got the rewire and heating done? I'll fit the kitchen and bathroom after so I can choose where I want the kitchen and bathroom fittings after the rewire and plumb

this is basically just to clarify things in my mind, I just want it all done efficiently

Sponsored Links
Remove skirtings,architraves before skimming.
fit new windows, 1st fix electrics and plumbing then plaster.

Hi guys, im a newbie here and pretty much new to DIY alltogether but still pretty compitent

Needs re-skimming as the walls are either coverd in textured wallpaper, rough, batterd etc. I want to do the whole house at once as it needs doing, i'll prob get someone in to do it.

Hi James, welcome to the forum.

Sorry if an obvious point - you'll need to get all the wallpaper off before skimming. Textured ceilings e.g. artex can be covered with plaster, but you can't cover paper.

thanks, this gives me something to think about.

costs are stacking up though, i'm a working student so may have to get the first fix electrics done and do the rest myself, e.g fitting ceiling rose's and faceplates etc. then get it all plasterd later on when i get the windows and door changed after i'v had central heating fitted and the plumbing done as leeds council didn't make a nice job of it lol!

oh and yeah i knew i needed to strip the walls. bloody annoying job though, i hope it dosn't pull the plaster off as im hoping just to skim over the original plaster?

Sponsored Links
OK, here is the order in which you need to work to get the best finish

strip walls and remove woodwork
new windows fitted
1st fix elecs
1st fix plumbing (if you want the pipework hidden that is)
making good all walls and ceilings ready for skimming
1st fix carpentry (if required, imo best to rip out old linings and fit new, then you know they will be square, in wind and true)
skimming
2nd fix carpentry
painting (buy extra for touch ups if required after 2nd fixing)
2nd fix electrics
2nd fix plumbing / tiling of bathroom
kitchen
floor coverings
PARTY!!

As regard to the electrics, please read up on part P, it is very important and could cause you immense problems when trying to sell your home if you ignore it.

Good luck, keep us posted and ask more if you need too

oh and yeah i knew i needed to strip the walls. bloody annoying job though, i hope it dosn't pull the plaster off as im hoping just to skim over the original plaster?

In the absence of Rich C (who is prob sunning himself in Spain:cool: and usually advises this)....if you use a steamer, go easy as over-steaming can cause the finish plaster to come away.
Hopefully your paper won't give you too much trouble, however you choose to remove it.

Look in decorating forum.

I find scoring with stanley knife, then a couple of soakings of washing up liquid and water often gets it nice and loose.

Look in decorating forum.

I find scoring with stanley knife, then a couple of soakings of washing up liquid and water often gets it nice and loose.

also cooler work than a steamer, although skimming iver old plaster that is infirm is a bad idea, check the bond is tight with no hollow sounding spots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back