Which kind of mastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went yesterday to assess a situation where water leaking into a flat had tripped the kitchen ring main and the tenant did not want to reset it.
The landlady had worked out that the gutter had been leaking and water somehow entered the property. She got the gutter cleaned and it is no longer overflowing. She had the roof replaced about six months ago and the disturbance had left a lot of loose grit which had washed down into the gutter with the recent high rains.

I discovered that a 50mm waste pipe leaving the upstairs flat was quite loose where it went through the wall and the overflowing gutter had caused water to enter the house around this loose pipe and that had run down the wall inside and flooded a switched fused spur.

So to remedy this problem I want to chip away a little brick and mortar around the pipe and fill the space with a suitable mastic.

Can anyone suggest the best mastic to use, ideally one sold by Toolstation, as that is convenient. Obviously it needs to stick well to both brickwork and plastic pipe!

Sponsored Links
OK thanks.

I had a look at what Toolstation were selling and decided to buy their Ever Build External Frame Sealant as most of its stated capabilities seemed suitable and the brown colour was less noticeable.

Although it does say that it is acrylic which you advised against.

Anyway we will see how effective it will be. Since the blocked gutter has now been cleaned the masses of water cascading down the wall will have ceased.

Sponsored Links
Polymer like CT1 or OB1.
Everbuild one is a OK at around £7.
Cheaper ones either don't give and more for sticking or a little thin.
Will stick to wet or damp surfaces unlike silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back