Which mortar type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
James wall.jpg
Hi,
I'm after some advice in regards to mortar type.

My son's house has a damp side wall, from front to rear, which i believe was caused by a poorly laid path.
We think his house was built around 1900, as it has solid brick walls.

Now the course of brick below the blue is in a really poor state, so we plan on replacing this with a second course of blue.

Unfortunately this level will be covered in earth again as the Electric and Gas lines run two brick courses below, but we are hoping to put drainage in.

We've read that it could be lime mortar due to solid brick wall and age of the house, but have also been told to just use a 1:3 mix with cement.
Now my question is, which mortar?

I hope I've explained it well enough to understand.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The house has been repointed with a cement mix at some point which you can see in the pic above the DPC, but that is only a few mm deep. It's more like a light skim. There was also some concrete attached to the DPC, which we have knocked off.
The mortar below the repoint is more of a yellowish colour and quite sandy, this is why we were unsure of the mix.

Thanks

Does the ground have sulphates which have affected the mortar, by reacting with the cement? Or just a poor original mix?

Colour, or a granular mix is not indication of lime.

It looks like frost damage.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, i have no idea about sulphates.

The path was laid towards the house, and those damaged bricks were just below ground, so could have frozen and blown?

Would you still suggest 1:3? would we add any lime?

Thanks again for your replies, i really appreciate the help.

1:3

It looks like typical frost damaged. Replace all the bad bricks.

One last thing, with it being a solid wall, would you dry both inside and out before replacing the bad bricks?
Thanks again

Thanks for the info (y) Have made a start on the brickwork, first ever attempt so be kind :D

Would we use the same mix for the inside too?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG-20220512-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220512-WA0001.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20220521-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220521-WA0004.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 36

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back