WHICH NAIL GUN AND WHY

D

DAJ

I am about to cover a large building with Marley Cedral Weatherboard. Obviously I will be battening to the brickwork (soft red's), then fixing the cladding to those.

I intend to use a nail gun to fix both (battening and cladding). The battening will probably be 38 x 50 (green) and the boards about 12 thick.
Also, later in the year, I intend to construct a large (30' x 30') decking area which I thought the gun could also be used for.

The thing is, rather than hiring a nail gun, I am going to buy a used one, probably a gas/bat one. I wish to fix the boards over a period of time, weather and time permitting, so hiring would work out expensive.

Can anyone reccommend a make and model of one best suited for fixing the Marley weatherboard and which type of fixings. Would 12v, 18v (DC) or 240v (AC) be as good as a gas/bat etc. Maybe a pneumatic gun and compressor, I really have no idea. people have said that various types can jam or, at the very least, choose when to work and when to bugger you about.

I am currently looking at a few Paslodes on ebay, but some (350 I think) look like they're over-capable of the job. I've been told that the first fix guns are for 3" and 4" nails and can't drive in the smaller nails, is this so?

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Sponsored Links
first fix guns will do from 51 to 90mm, if you want to use a 90mm ring then you need a pneumatic gun as the paslode type gun will only do a part ring 90mm.
the ONLY advantage of a paslode style gun is that there isnt a hose other than that pneumatic guns are faster , more powerfull , more reliable and the nails are a hell of a lot cheaper
try bostitch for pneumatic or kit-pro for gas (cheaper than paslode and just as reliable)
2nd fix guns will do from 32 to 63mm but will only fire 18g nails which are virtually headless

first fix guns will do from 51 to 90mm, if you want to use a 90mm ring then you need a pneumatic gun as the paslode type gun will only do a part ring 90mm.
the ONLY advantage of a paslode style gun is that there isnt a hose other than that pneumatic guns are faster , more powerfull , more reliable and the nails are a hell of a lot cheaper
try bostitch for pneumatic or kit-pro for gas (cheaper than paslode and just as reliable)
2nd fix guns will do from 32 to 63mm but will only fire 18g nails which are virtually headless

Thanks for the reply. Can't find "kit-pro" anywhere though! Even tried Google with no joy. I obviously couldn't consider a pneumatic unless it had a VERY long hose as I'd be working at the top of a ladder.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for the reply. Can't find "kit-pro" anywhere though! Even tried Google with no joy. I obviously couldn't consider a pneumatic unless it had a VERY long hose as I'd be working at the top of a ladder.

length of hose is not a problem, we use one for fencing work of a 20 litre compressor thats 25m long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back