Which paint??? No seriously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had built a massive 5m long 2m high MDF entertainment system/storage unit. It's big so I only want to paint it correctly the first time! I've painted a smaller unit before in gloss, two coats after two coats of primer, felt like weeks of my life and fumes!!!!
This one has been primed with Leyland acrylic white paint. I believe I need to go acrylic on top, is that correct?
And as I have kids I assume I should go for a eggshell up to gloss for the finish to add durability (will need to be degreased from crayons etc).
Should I stick with Leyland brand?
I had a quick look at other posts but didn't really answer my questions.
Thanks for any suggestions/help

Attachments

• 16361073183368562560643977925196.jpg
    16361073183368562560643977925196.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
I don't know about paint, but that unit looks awesome!

From kitchen experience use oil based. I used a waterbased on my kitchen after 123 and its chipped where the users nails have picked it. Especially with children. It looks an absolute mess. I would look down the route of professional oil based primer then topcoat like a solvent based Tikkurlia Everal or better. I def would drop the use of Leyland and def no gloss. The finish needs to be good with mini rollers and fine brushes.

You need to shop at a Rabats or similar paint shop. If you look at Painters Pitshop they constantly use Benjamin Moore paints for gloss ScuffX etc. The issue is that is going to cost you.

Sponsored Links
Scuff-x eggshell.
Looks like brewers will start to stock.

Benjamin Moore again for this.

I certainly wouldn't use oil based paint, it's horrible stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back