Which part to replace? (Worcester heatslave 15/19)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Worcester Heatslave 15/19 Combi Oil fired boiler. When either the central heating or hot water is triggered, the pump kicks in, then when the burner starts a noise starts which sounds a bit 'worn bearing'-like. Removing the burner box cover on the boiler makes the sound louder, further suggesting the problem is more burner oriented than pump oriented (the pump is outside the burner box). This sound started a couple of days ago, and has been intermittent, but is getting more regular.

From searching the forum, it sounds as though this is possibly the fan. Here come the questions:

1. Assuming it is the fan/fan bearing, is this a seperately available part?
2. Assuming it is, should I be able to replace it? I'm reasonably competent (replaced diverter valve and flow switch - can do basic plumbing - got an OND electro/mechanical engineering). My main concern is that I'm removing and replacing the burner. Is this likely to upset any settings that would need re-calibration (such as oil pressure and air adjustment)?
3. If it's not likely to be the fan, any ideas on what it may be?

I would call in my heat engineer, but cannot remember his name or phone number, and have been stung by other incompetant ones.
Thanks for your help, and if I can give any more info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Crispin

Sponsored Links
sounds like your motor. which will probably be an b9 motor. ie oil pump on end facing you as you look at it.

you have to remoe pump to change it. dont disconnect flexi, just bundy. (metal tube)

what i do is split it. ie pump off and spin fan, youll hear knackered bearings. if not then it could be pump (unlikely here though)

the only awkward bit, might be getting fan off shaft. for that we use the secret tool

settings will not be altered.

Thanks Wilhelm,
Aha, the secret tool - that looks like Worcester-Bosch part no. 1-275-22645-23... :)

Thanks for the pointers, I'll give that a go...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

to get at the fan, you need to take the 5 screws out from the front of the burner.

to get the fan off, undo the grubscrew, 4mm allen screw, and pull GENTLY. If it's stuck, get a hot air gun and warm up the centre, then it should come off.

If you are clever you can buy a 6202 2RS and a 6202 2ZZ bearing and replace them. If you can't change bearings, it will cost you a new motor.

Try here . The picture is a B11 burner, but yours is a B9.

Sponsored Links
From my experiences replacing bearings on motorbikes I think it'll probably be cheaper to buy a new motor than the extra cost of alcohol involved post bearing-change. ;)
Isn't it a bit tricky to drift bearings out of motor housings? I suppose at least a boiler motor fits in the oven better than a CB550 crank case.

Thanks agin,
Crispin

The bearings will fall out of the housings. When you get the motor apart, the rotor comes out easily and you need to pull the bearings off the shaft. Then push the new ones on.

just thought I'd add this...

An MP3 of my boiler
This is the noise that my boiler makes. I managed to record it making the annoying noise to start with, but you can hear it fading. This isn't because I'm moving away from it, it just seems to do this sometimes. It really is intermittent. Is it likely that just a clean will do it? It's sounding less bearing-ish. The sort of oscillating/clicking is just the recording, the boiler doesn't make this bit of the noise.

It's no good wishing the sound away, just get on with it and change the bearings, otherwise there was no point in asking advice. It's no big deal, and takes about 1/2 hr.

The reason I posted the noise was in case it *wasn't* the bearings - really just to clarify things. I'm getting the bearings today and will post the results. I might even post an MP3 of a boiler with newly fitted bearings so others can hear the difference... :)
Thanks for your help,
Crispin

oilman, if you're there... I'm just trying to remove the motor, but the oil pump is on the back of it. I've undone the allen screws holding the pump onto the end of the motor, but should I remove the hard oil line from the pump end or the burner end? It seems pretty stuck fast on both ends and I don't want to bust anything. Otherwise how do I remove the pump?

Whoot! Thanks Oilman and Wilhelm. I am currently standing by my nice quiet boiler. Two bearings, £14.26. Probably a little expensive (for bearings), but a damn site cheaper than a new motor, and definitely cheaper than a callout plus new motor. Of course I can't be certain it's sorted yet, but I'll let you all know... :)

Thanks an awful lot,
Crispin

hello there
dont know when this post was started but may be usefull to others who look.
i had the same problem noise from the boiler when it started and it was the motor bearings that had gone. these cot me £5 for 2 skf from bearing man and removal and fitting was a 20min job not hard at all. the bearing size is 15 mm od in side and 35mm od out side for the heatslave 15/19 motor/pump/blower just check the wiring inside as mine had rubbed on the case and perished but nothing solder didnt fix.
so dont put it off save your self a packet and have a crack

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

to get at the fan, you need to take the 5 screws out from the front of the burner.

to get the fan off, undo the grubscrew, 4mm allen screw, and pull GENTLY. If it's stuck, get a hot air gun and warm up the centre, then it should come off.

If you are clever you can buy a 6202 2RS and a 6202 2ZZ bearing and replace them. If you can't change bearings, it will cost you a new motor.

Try here . The picture is a B11 burner, but yours is a B9.

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old post, but it's the same issue.

I've got a 10yr old Worcester Bosch Heatslave 20/25 oil boiler & by the sound of it the bearings are on the way out on the burner. It's an Electro Oil Inter B11 burner & I'm struggling to find the correct bearings. I've found the post here saying I need a 6202 2RS and a 6202 2ZZ bearing, but I've also found posts suggesting that most Riello / Electro Oil motors take 6202RS bearings. Having spoken to someone at 'The Bearing Man' I understand that the letters at the end relate to different types of seal etc.

Is anyone able to confirm what bearing (and how many) I need? I'm reluctant to dismantle the burner to try to find the information as it's still working (albeit noisily) and it's only 4°C outside!

Cheers,

Craig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back