Which router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Will be fitting a new floor using engineered wood soon.

What type of machine should I buy to create a gap between the skirting board and the floorboard as I am unable to remove the skirting board and how big should the gap be?

Sponsored Links
Cut them to size, to allow a 10mm gap all the way around but from my (admittedly limited) experience, I've not experienced any movement along the grain, just across it.

Hopefully WYL will be along soon for a definitive answer.

its not really possible to undercut the skirts and then fit the floor. You need to either remove them or fit beading.

Hi guys

Will be fitting a new floor using engineered wood soon.

What type of machine should I buy to create a gap between the skirting board and the floorboard as I am unable to remove the skirting board and how big should the gap be?

you could use a fein multimaster or a bosch multitool version (same and cheaper ~£60 in bnq- trouble is it would take you an age an wouldn't be neat if used on long lengths of skirting- its great for short runs and for undercutting the architrave around doors etc. If I were you I'd take the skirtings off as beading option is hideous.

Sponsored Links
mmmmmmmm :?:

I got a quote from a proffesional who said he would use a router,rowter?? to do that because we cant take the skirts off and we didnt want a gap around the edge.

His quote was ridiculous so I was gonna buy the tool and do it myself.

you need a door trimmer, but with modern wood floors it is really hard work and a diyer will have no chance of doing it. You will need to remove tongue locking systems etc unless you buy a glue together floor. Then you will need special suction clamps to bring the end boards in. You also will need test gear to see if the power to your plugs goes up or down etc etc etc!

Why cant the skirts be removed? and what was your quote?

also a router wont do what you want it to. Even if it did you would get through a couple of bits for it at about 30 quid a shot and good router will cost 300+ quid. You can get cheap routers for 80 quid or so but they will not be up for the job.

The reason I dont want to take the skirts off is because the walls are made of fibre board and from experience half the wall comes away with the skirt.

I dont want beading because both me and my wife dont like the look.

I guess we'll just have to leave a gap and seal it.

Still would be cheaper and easier to pull the skirting off and make good a repair on the walls than to attempt your scenario. I know what you mean re beading as its horrible and spoils the look of a good floor. Bite the bullet and rip off those skirts.

If your skirting board is painted white, you could use pre-painted white beading, which looks quite good. The white beading appears to be a part of the skirting rather than the ridiculous edge to the floor, that you get with the wood effect beading. It looks very good when used with moulded skirting.

Another benefit of using the beading is that it will fit tightly down onto the laminate along its full length. You cannot achieve such flexibility with skirting board on an uneven floor.

Having said all the above, if you have a level floor and the skirting boards are removable, with some making good to be done upon refit, I think you should remove and refit them.

A door trimmer is the tool for the job you are better off hiring one. set it only just deep enough and be careful of any cables that may have been just run behind the skirting.
I managed to undercut my skirts and glue down flooring in my hall it was a bit of a fiddle. But when i did the lounge I removed the skirts.
If removing the skirts really will give you grief then you could always use the door trimmer to rip them down half way. just place it on a block of wood and run it along you can then rip down the piece you take out and refit it back over the flooring.

My personal prefeerence would be to remove the skirts, cut through the fibreboard along the top of the skirting and remove the whole lot then re-pack the wlls and fit the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back