which screwdriver is needed here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F7D14CF0-0FCC-4E40-8A38-247B374C7BDC.jpeg
8DE54A0C-E4EF-4DC0-BFB9-8EFB4E607A75.jpeg
So I have recently fit some door bolts with the tiny brass screws, see pictures, Now my general method of screwing in such small screws is to try various size small screwdrivers until I find one which fits and turns screw appprpriately. Unfortunately this has meant the screws are looking the worse for wear and now I am worried they will be hard to remove. So my question is what screwdriver type and size is best for these screws? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well in a different life they were pozi's but they are a bit mashed. Few methods :-

Try a pozi #2
Tap an old flat blade screwdriver into the screw.
Cut a slot across the screw.
Use a screw extractor.
Mole grips.

Good luck.

Well, they used to be Pozidriv number 2, but they have really had it!

I would remove them with a left hand drill bit, maybe 4mm. Use lots of pressure and run the drill very slow. It will snag and undo the screw for you.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252847091914

There are other methods, use a dremel to cut a slot and use a slotted screwdriver, but this can damage the surrounding area. And then screw extractors, but I've never had much luck with them.

Gaz :)

edit: use medium pressure for brass screws, lots of pressure only with normal screws

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I reckon an impact driver and a no 3 or possible no 2 as said. I like the left handed drill suggestion.

whilst they are 100% pozi its debatable on no 1 or no2
whilst i would always say no1 for small screws the bottom off the screw head seems very rounded not in a chewed way but in a dished way similar to any pz2 impact bit ??

if you drill the heads using a left-handed drill, there is a good chance the torque and vibration will wind them out. I have a few for that very reason. If you haven't got time to order some, try a burr countersink (shaped like a Christmas tree) with your electric drill set to reverse. Even if it fails, it will grind the heads off so you can continue as Nigel suggests.

Pozi screw heads help to centre the drill.

edit
I see
rsgaz got there first

Lets add heating with a soldering iron and spot welding on too. Many ways to skin a cat (y)

Can't see too well, but I'm not sure they're brass screws. They look like they may be zinc passivated with brass cups. Can't be sure though.

Chain saw, cut big hole in door - remove it all.
Use a rope to secure door, whistle when on the bog.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back