Which screws should I use to fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2D4D5A9B-3B96-44D1-AAD6-81EDF0649C80.jpeg
Hi, Just noticed some of the steps that lead up to the shed are loose/wobbly. I have attached the picture of the steps.
Which screws would be best to use for this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to tighten existing ones?

Sponsored Links
I would put small blocks under the ends at each side. Screw these to the strings, (the sloping sides), and then screw down through the steps into the blocks.
Make the blocks about 38mm x 38mm and the length of the step from back to front. Clamp them under the step using 2 G-clamps and then drill a 3mm pilot hole right the way through the block and the string. Using screws long enough to go through the string, and half way into the block, screw in from the outside edge all the way through into the block. So, if the string is 38mm thick and the block is 38mm thick then 65-70mm screws, (maybe 4 or 5mm diameter), will do the job. Use countersink ones so they don't protrude and catch little fingers or legs.

I would put small blocks under the ends at each side. Screw these to the strings, (the sloping sides), and then screw down through the steps into the blocks.
Make the blocks about 38mm x 38mm and the length of the step from back to front. Clamp them under the step using 2 G-clamps and then drill a 3mm pilot hole right the way through the block and the string. Using screws long enough to go through the string, and half way into the block, screw in from the outside edge all the way through into the block. So, if the string is 38mm thick and the block is 38mm thick then 65-70mm screws, (maybe 4 or 5mm diameter), will do the job. Use countersink ones so they don't protrude and catch little fingers or legs.
Thanks for the help mate, good way to do it, I have noted a pic of a couple of screws that am thinking of using, you think either of these would be suitable? 33990E94-8FA8-430F-AF35-41E5B398ADF7.png

It currently has nails in it unfortunately..

Nails??? You are lucky they have not collapsed under you.

At the very least they need wood blocks fixed at either end, of every step, firmly screwed to the sides with two screws per block plus two more down through the step. Blocks 2x2x the depth of each step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back