which size junction box for 2.5m gauge wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im cutting into the ring to add two double sockets to an upstairs room, im not sure on sizes of junction boxes but which is best for the job, and can i run from one junction box into another so as to keep the wiring in in horizontal lines.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why use junction boxes?

Convert a socket into two singles with a dual box & run the new wiring from there.

im not keen on using a spur, if thats what you mean?

as i'll be getting the floorboards up to access the central heating pipes i thought it esaier to go from the ring and add the sockets as the amount of wiring i have from the first point is not all that long so id of thought it easier with a junction box?

but im thankful for advice

ta

assuming all sockets are on the ring, fit new sockets (no cable) pull one cable from nearest existing socket out, take it to new socket.

(old and 1 new socket should now have only 1 cable, 1 new socket will have no cables).

take a a new cable from this 1st new socket to the 2nd new socket

(only this new socket has 2 cables)

Take a new cable from the 2nd new socket to the old socket you took the cable from in the first place.

(all sockets should now have 2 cables)

reconnect and test, all sockets now on the ring, no junction boxes required

when i say take, obviously you dissconect it, and all usual precautions apply

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for the advice, i didnt know that way of doing it. so the last socket goes back to the original?
i have six wires on the first socket so when i go back into this socket from the last i'll have 10 wires, this cant be right?

also i'll be coming from under the floorboards

here is a diagram of what i want to do (it looked better in my mind)
[/img]

i guess your trying to tell me im not on the ring main? there are six wires going in but i traced the 3 wires back to an old storage heater so now im left with only 3 wires. so in order to assess that im on the ring main i do a resistance test?

i guess it frustrating for you to go over this with me but i appreciate the help as it would save me serious cash and it would be better to do it now while im having some plumbing work done and all the boards are up

sorry to be a pain in the ass :rolleyes:

3/6 wires going in to where?

Can you post some pictures?

If you don't have a ring arrangement present at the sockets, you possibly don't under the floor either.

i had six wires going into the present exsisting single socket, 2 live, 2 neutral, 2 earth.

i dont really want to call an electrician in if i can help it

i dont really want to call an electrician in if i can help it

Which is why we're trying to help.

You have confused the issue by mentioning that 3 wires are going to a storage heater.

Please post some pictures of the back of the socket (power down first) nearest to the area you want to fit extra sockets in. If this isn't the socket you are referring to in your previous posts, post a picture of that one too.

We need to try & work out what kind of circuit you have got.

Is it deffo 2.5mm² cable? What fuse/ circuit breaker size is protecting this circuit?

Still have no idea how many wires are in each socket.

Those cables look damaged. You should think about replacing them & re-routing them to prevent future damage.

They are PVC, aren't they?

there is only one socket in the room at present.
in this there are 6 wires running from two cables, which look to be running from another room but i cant lift the boards there. there is also another 2.5 wire this was supplying the heater as i mentioned. yes they are pvc and i will re-route the under the pipes through the joists.

im at a loss now because i have only 3 wires into a socket which i've tested as working, and all the other sockets in the house also work so its put to sleep my idea that it was supplying another socket somewhere else in another room

here is another picture of the cable that was supplying the heater

I've drawn a picture for you. Perhpas someone can add it to the wiki.

How to extend a ring main:

ringmain.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back