Which stages of the build do building control need to check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got planning for a garage extension but before I get into the project does anyone know at what point building control need to inspect the work carried out? Trench depth? Etc etc.

Thanks for any pointers

Sponsored Links
When you engage them, ask them when they want to visit. There will be more than one and generally it's whenever you're just about to cover up something they have an interest in seeing; before you put concrete in your trenches, before you cover your insulated walls in plasterboard etc

This saves you having to undo work i.e. dig holes beside foundations so they can see depth and soil/take plasterboards off

Also helps to take loads of pictures during a build so if there is something they suddenly retrospectively decide they want a look at you can just whip your phone out..

Thanks for your reply. That gives me a fair idea of what to expect. I'll give them a call

Nowadays, building control asses the build and tell you what they need to check and how many visits they will make. Ask for more visits and they will charge extra for them.

Sponsored Links
Nowadays, building control asses the build and tell you what they need to check and how many visits they will make. Ask for more visits and they will charge extra for them.
Have you had an email, showing the latest changes to BC inspection format (October 1st 2023)? Client/Designer/Contactor responsibilities have now been updated.

Have you had an email, showing the latest changes to BC inspection format (October 1st 2023)? Client/Designer/Contactor responsibilities have now been updated.
No. I've been slacking.

OK so we called them and they said they'd be there Monday. I dug the trench dug by hand as I didn't want the weight of the digger to mess up the block paving.
Does the trench sides need to be smooth? Slicing the mud off the sides makes me want a kebab

Attachments

• 20231116_134714.jpg
    20231116_134714.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20231116_134711.jpg
    20231116_134711.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231115_133359.jpg
    20231115_133359.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 52
Sides should be more or less vertical and straight, with a consistent minimum width throughout. The bottom level, flat and not soft.

Thanks Woody. Unfortunately the trench keeps filling up with water so it's hard to get the bottom dry. I have some hard-core I could tamp into the bottom of the trench?

Thanks Woody. Unfortunately the trench keeps filling up with water so it's hard to get the bottom dry. I have some hard-core I could tamp into the bottom of the trench?

They need to check the depth, so adding anything is counter productive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back