Which step down transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am dyslexic and need bit help
I am going to buy DeWalt DW 745 table saw from USA as its more than £100 cheaper than UK version
But I am struggling to work which step down transformer I need buy so I can use the table saw in UK
Also going by a ryboi plus one brad nailer but it can come with charger and battery from USA
Would I also need to buy transformer for the battery charger as well for it too work UK as well
Thank guys

Sponsored Links
You won't find a "US to UK" step down transformer as US electricity supply is a different frequency to UK. US is 60Hz, UK is 50Hz - this does have a minor effect on a transformer designed with a different frequency in mind, but most important is that the motor will run at the wrong speed. A US motor running at UK line frequenciy is only 83% of what it should be. You need to change the motor if you're going to have this import running properly here.

You may also find that blades and consumables don't fit, as the yanks are stuck in the past using the imperial system

Nozzle

Last edited:
no gtee if it goes wrong
oneplus buy a uk charger as the batteries are interchangeble

Thanks guys for the great information
Will buy DeWalt table saw from UK except price differences
But my ryobi brad nailer from the USA

Sponsored Links
to the OP. honestly I wouldn't bother. get it all from the UK. less hassle.

When buying from America I tend to do it a through eBay or Amazon as all your import charges are done there and then. eBay also have a global shipping program which can cost a fraction of what it normally would. So if you're doing it through a third party be careful you don't get stung. I always pay close attention to the exchange rate too as you can save a few more quid that way, if you order at the right time.

You can get a 240-115/50-60hz transformer from maplin I believe but it certainly wouldn't be trade rated and I can't imagine it will have a great duty cycle.

Remember you've got no warranty unless you want to foot the bill to send it back to the US; in that instance you've saved nothing and probably cost yourself a bit more.

Something like that, as mentioned is worthwhile buying here.

As for US chargers, I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard stories of people using them on site 110v and because of the 60/50hz frequency change it ruins batteries. Not sure I'd buy that at face value but it isn't worth the cost of a new battery or more trying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back