Which System - Pros and cons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

It's me again looks like alarm systems have progressed a lot since i last checked them out - Risco were the only one who offered half a decent cloud system

So i was going to go for Risco Agility 3 - but it appears now Visonic do app and Pyronix among others

So my question is really - is the system you choose / install a personal preference or are some brands better in terms of research and development, reliability etc

I want an alarm system i can monitor via an app - using simple gsm/gprs and or ip module

I'm leaning to Risco Agility 3 or Visonic - any other suggestions

I really what to see what experiences people had with these various apps to make the right decision - in terms of easy of setup to daily use

Sponsored Links
For what its worth, I'm in the final stages of making a similar decision. I'm currently leaning towards the Visonic system after a conversation with one of the guys at MAP Security. The problem I have is that 1) there isn't a lot of experience with the new cloud enabled alarm systems shared on t'internet and 2) I'm not sure how much I want to commit my home security to a company's cloud solution that could be switched off at any point.

Ideally, I would want the whole app and cloud enablement to work point to point - i.e. as long as my home system can see the internet and I have remote access I get all the features like remote cctv viewing, arming, status checking etc. rather than needing to go through the security firms cloud platform.

I'm yet to determine if any of the products available offer this sort of architecture.

I totally agree with your thoughts there - and the issue you mention has arisen - it was actually Visonic who deiced to turn off servers and now installers have the hassle of providing the cloud system - hence they pay for hardware etc so place a price on it - my worry with all that is if that installer goes bust or something happens unique to their powermanage system - they not IT people and in reality all it is a dell box with raid zero probably ruining linux

I believe the older powerlink2 did have an inbuilt webserver but the powerlink 3 for the powermaster system does not hence need for the powermanage bit - if alarm companies actually provided the software i could easily host on my NAS and then it's all in my hands

I believe risco agility you can arm / disarm be altered via gsm without the need to go through their cloud system - but i'm not sure about if you have camera pir that you can access the images or not

I'm sure visonic or risco installers could enlighten us - obviously risco you can't buy and install yourself

I was given the impression by MAP that self installing the Visonic system would give me access to these features but I've not been convinced yet so haven't pulled the trigger - your comments here are making me be thankful for that. I agree it would be easy to self host the PowerManage server and that would be an ideal end game for me too.

As usual with technology, its 2016 and the possibilities are endless and yet the consumer is shafted because companies often give a half-arsed solution and want to charge the earth for it...

p.s. Love the Freudian slip of "probably ruining Linux" ;)

Sponsored Links
If you are looking for cctv and alarm using NAS then I'd look at synology surveillance station. 2 camera licensed for free and from what I can tell fairly easy to integrate an alarm in to the event system. You can then backup the media folder to plenty of clouds should you want remote storage.

Remote access is easy enough via port forwarding. I'd fancy my chances of securing the data myself than some random virtual server on a cloud machine that could easily be targeted by rogue employees (normally where the hack comes from).

I'm yet to myself find the true answer to the visonic situation - i even emailed visonic - yeah Visonic you can access features and self manage alarm - but only if you're connected to a powermange server - alternative is someone else can monitor for you - but i don't believe you can install visonic and set or unset alarm if you not linked to powermanage server i could be 100% wrong - Not enough information but they will argue it's a professional install system etc

Its 2016 and intruder alarm manufactures are also doing nothing about really linking to home automation either it's new companies who think security means - camera on a bookshelf and when it goes off you get alert butt here is no external siren or the like - i'm really disappointed by the market

The cloud is a nice to have but like Philips hue bulbs - if you can control them via a small hub why not an alarm system - market don't demand it so companies have no need or desire to do it

If you are looking for cctv and alarm using NAS then I'd look at synology surveillance station. 2 camera licensed for free and from what I can tell fairly easy to integrate an alarm in to the event system. You can then backup the media folder to plenty of clouds should you want remote storage.

Remote access is easy enough via port forwarding. I'd fancy my chances of securing the data myself than some random virtual server on a cloud machine that could easily be targeted by rogue employees (normally where the hack comes from).

Interesting shame i have a QNAP NAS but maybe it can be done on that too as i know you get the camera licencees on that too

Nothing to stop you rsync-ing the NVR to your NAS or adding a second NAS. They all run linux at the end of the day.

Its 2016 and intruder alarm manufactures are also doing nothing about really linking to home automation either it's new companies who think security means - camera on a bookshelf and when it goes off you get alert butt here is no external siren or the like - i'm really disappointed by the market

The cloud is a nice to have but like Philips hue bulbs - if you can control them via a small hub why not an alarm system - market don't demand it so companies have no need or desire to do it
We are talking security though and I for one wouldn't trust my security to a 3rd party's server alongside some flippin lightbulbs. Some things should be kept separate.

We are talking security though and I for one wouldn't trust my security to a 3rd party's server alongside some flippin lightbulbs. Some things should be kept separate.

lol it was example if it make you happy i'm still using standard bulbs and light swithces

Ok so the question is then - how can you monitor your alarm in 21st century without reverting to pstn and diallers - seems like only option would be gms / sms

lol it was example if it make you happy i'm still using standard bulbs and light swithces
Whatever example you used though shows yours and many 'fashion victims' state of mind wanting security tied in with some gimmicky device operated via an app controlled by some company you shouldn't trust. I'd never think to have a key cut for every employee so they can pop round and let themselves in so why should I trust the same people to know more about me than you know they know? My security is my security and only I know the state of play.

Ok so the question is then - how can you monitor your alarm in 21st century without reverting to pstn and diallers - seems like only option would be gms / sms
Cheapest and less open to abuse would be GSM. Nothing is failsafe of course. Having a professional body monitoring your system is only as good as the people. The Police are way too cash strapped to be bothered to come out even if they have more than 1 vehicle in the whole county patrolling.

Whatever example you used though shows yours and many 'fashion victims' state of mind wanting security tied in with some gimmicky device operated via an app controlled by some company you shouldn't trust. I'd never think to have a key cut for every employee so they can pop round and let themselves in so why should I trust the same people to know more about me than you know they know? My security is my security and only I know the state of play.

You make a valid point - it's actually got me thinking

You make a valid point - it's actually got me thinking
It isn't for me to convince you of course but giving your security more thought won't hurt. The trouble is so many want a wireless self install too which I wouldn't trust to look after my socks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back