Monitored home alarms: Texecom vs Pyronix: what's different? Are the apps comparable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the market for a monitored home alarm system, to be installed professionally. No DYI – so I hope this question is not off-topic, but I’m asking here in the hope people will be familiar with all aspects of how alarms work, not just DYI.

Most installers in my area install either Texecom or Pyronix. How does one choose between the two, other than on price?

They both have hybrid wireless – wired systems, same kinds of sensors, etc. I don’t have pets and don’t care about pet-friendly detectors.

Texecom has a wireless mesh system, which sounds useful but is probably not necessary for my property.

Other than this, what are the differences?

Are the Android apps very different? Is one better / more reliable? The key things I’d like is to check remotely if the system is armed, and to receive push notifications when certain keyfobs (e.g. the cleaner’s) are used to arm and disarm.

The app stores have many complaints that Texecom sends too many notifications, but if I understand correctly this can be changed by the installer in the control panel (not through the app). Is the Pyronix different / better / more user-friendly?

I don’t plan on installing CCTV now but would like the system to be expandable. Are Texecom and Pyronix comparable when it comes to connecting and controlling CCTV?

How about home automation? Not too keen on it – it’s more curiosity. Texecom has smart plugs that connect to the system and can be programmed with ‘recipes’ (if this then that etc); how about Pyronix?

Anything else that is different between the two?

Lastly, are there other brands that might be better for a fairly simple home use? In my area there are way fewer installers who install Risco; the upfront cost for the kit is similar but the monthly monitoring more expensive (although that may well be due to the installer and nothing to do with Risco itself).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
PS Banham installs Pyronix kit - their app is, in fact, developed by Pyronix. Does anyone have experience with them? Is their app the same as the Pyronix one, but with their logo, or are there different functionalities?

If you are having it professionally installed you would be better discussing it with the installer ...we fit both Texecom and pyronix panels and both have there own good and bad points

Installation companies have options to brand apps from some manufacturers.

same app, just an upload of a logo and colour scheme I suspect.

currently Pyronix charge annually for there app and Texecom don't, but this may change.

Hard wired is always best, wireless well the current pyronix has frequency hoping, which means its harder for the signal to be jammed intentionally or otherwise, Texecom does not.

Ricochet mesh, is great, but if you have devices hoping through another device, it will run the batteries down quicker. The more devices you have the better mesh you can get.

Sponsored Links
@secureiam, I hadn't realised the difference on frequency hopping - thanks! I understand for a jewellery, but how much of an issue is it for residential alarms, in your experience? I find it unlikely that anyone would ever try to jam my alarm intentionally, but maybe interference from other devices can be common?

@sparkymarka, well, I have not found any installer that installs both, so I very much doubt that an installer is ever going to tell me that the kit they do not sell and do not install is better! :) Can I ask you what the good and bad points about the two are in your experience?

Any experience with the apps of the two manufacturers?

Well we install mainly Texecom, but we also install Pyronix, Risco and Orisec, all have there benefits depending on what the customer needs/ wants, all have an app, all have detection devices, many different things to consider.

Pyronix started looking at frequency hoping due to a home system being jammed by the new street lights many years ago and its been implemented relatively recently. Jamming is possible due to a wireless system not functioning as it should.
whilst it should happened, design, I am sure bernardgreen has passed comment on this forum many times.

It is unlikely but not impossible that in the life time of a wireless system you may experience radio jamming for one reason or another.

Many installers are uncomfortable with certain equipment for one reason or another, many installers change manufacturers when they have had enough of certain issues or think they can get better value elsewhere.

It is difficult to recommend one system over another, just off the top of your head.

for example I recommend a robin reliant but you then tell me you live in the highland of Scotland and it just doesn't cut it especially during the winter, so should have been looking at a 4 x 4????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back