Which type of boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background
I have a two-up, two-down terraced house with reasonably sized rooms.
Eventually, more than one person will be living there.
There is currently no heating system in the house.
I have removed the old gas fire and behind it is an infeed and an outfeed pipe. Between these is a kind of heating area with a row of metal plates, note; there is no cast iron storage device, nor is there a flue.
There is currently a hotwater cylinder in a cupboard upstairs.

Problem: I am wondering which type of boiler system to install.
I have read and I quote, "Combi boilers do not provide a good flow of hot water and they are only really suitable for small flats with showers, not bigger properties with baths." Jeff Howell, (Sunday Telegraph Guide to Looking After Your Property). He isn't keen on condensing boilers, instead, recommends a 'conventional' boiler (around £500) feeding a hot water cylinder.

Any advice (and general comments) greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
not too keen on condensing boilers myself, but unless you have a case for Part L exemption.. it's a bit tough really.

It's not mandatory to have a heating "system". You will have significant installation costs and maintenance costs. You are in a terraced house which will not lose much heat anyway. Look at electric. Low installation cost and virtually zero maintenance cost. If you have a fireplace, great. Get a small woodburner in case of power cuts, and for when you want something cosy in the evenings.

Sponsored Links
Jeff Howeler :LOL: . would he like to work as a Real World plumber for a day, and I`ll have his day`s salary and write for the paper...in the silly season, I recon I know as much about journo, as he does about plumbing.allegedly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . Somebody explain Part L exemption calculations to us both...cue 2 jags.

Many thanks for replies.
Oilman: you definately have a point there, particularly in view of my particular situation and future plans I have for the property. I'm going to look into that. It sounds interesting to say the least.

Nige F: very witty :LOL: Start sharpening your pencils...

Sharpen,em.I can`t find them in the first place. Half inch ot detritus in the bottom of the old canvas bag :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back