Which type of drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologises if this has been posted multiple times. I am currently undertaking a new house renovation project and my 13 year old 18v Bosch driver doesn't really cut it.

I am looking for something which can deal with concrete lintels, brick walls, wood etc. I normally borrow my brother in laws Makita SDS for heaving duty tasks but don't think I'd make use of this on a regular basis. Is there such thing as a good all rounder? I'd prefer mains powered and have about £100 - £150.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Problem with that is that an SDS is too slow, heavy and bulky to use as a screwdriver or for small diametwr drill bits into, say, wood or metal

Last edited by a moderator:
Any cheap branded or non branded drill will do for the masonry. Good bits are more important.

There is no all rounder unless you have soft bricks external and thermalite internal, in which case a 10.8v will do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I've agreed to a long term loan of my brother in laws SDS drill and I'm going to invest a decent cordless.

I always use my sds to drill and my cordless to drive screws in.
If you have only one drill you have to change tip at every action and waste more time.

Have a think about an impact driver if you're doing loads of screws- total gamechanger. Check the diy sheds, got a lovely Makita 3 pack (cordless, impact driver, jigsaw) a while ago, they're all lovely- bit lightweight for full-on site use but perfect for me

Had my Erbauer EXT Cordless 18V 5Ah Lithium-ion Brushless Combi Drill 2 batteries ECDT18-Li-2 for 6 month now and got to say i am happy with it and the performance around the house and garden. Batteries last for ages being 5A too and was only 115 from B & Q clearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back