which wallplug for coach screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Specifically, what size wall plug and drill size do I need for an M10 coach screw?

More generally, does anyone know of any table on the internet that gives this information for all screw sizes - both metric sizes (e.g. M6, M8, M10 etc) and gauge nos (e.g. No 4, No 6 etc)?

Sponsored Links
Use a 12mm or maybe even 14 mm plastic plug for this, that means a 12mm hole in the masonry too.
For Thunderscrews (I think that's their name - they cut their own thread in masonry) an 8mm hole would be needed but of course no plug is used here.
John

I'm with John on this one because if you drill a hole too big the plug will rotate and you will struggle to stop the plug turning.
At the weekend I had to put up a awning outside our patio doors and it came supplied with M12 coach screws and some plastic plugs with instructions to drill a 12mm hole or 14mm depending on best fit.
The 12mm hole was too small and the plug would not go in and the 14mm holes needed to be wedged in to stop the plug rotating. I even considered using a resin to anchor the plugs in but managed to get away with a bit of wedging.
Depending on what you are fixing to the wall , be cautious about hole size and have some spare plugs just in case it all goes belly up. I would have used concrete screws directly into the brickwork if I had known what a faff the coachscrews were.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Specifically, what size wall plug and drill size do I need for an M10 coach screw?

More generally, does anyone know of any table on the internet that gives this information for all screw sizes - both metric sizes (e.g. M6, M8, M10 etc) and gauge nos (e.g. No 4, No 6 etc)?

What is it you're doing/fixing? If you're at M8/10 for masonary or concrete there are far better alternatives than rawl plugs

Thunderbolts are the coach screws of concrete and masonry.
No plugs needed. Just drill and screw in.

I'd suggest that something requiring a m10 bolt should not rely on a plastic wall plug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back