Which way should I build this frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be building a garden storage box from wood.

I have a fairly good idea in my head what I should do but I'm not sure which of these ways I should build the base.

Is any way better (more sturdier than the other)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
more detail needed ,is this a top veiw or side, proposed medium ,situation and any other relevent details such as doors etc............????

Sponsored Links
Kinda like this...

teak_cushion_box.jpg

That's a nice job. Looks like oak. As Harbourwoodwork says, M & T the corners. Makes a far better job than anything else. Brass or stainless screws and fittings for outside.

I don't think anyone can tell you how to build it. You need a few woodwork skills to build this.
You'll need a saw, a mallet, a few chisels, a plane and some sand paper. :mrgreen:

Ok thanks.

I just thought one way would be better than the other (kind of like the way you hang a gate with the brace going a certain way).

It doesn't really matter. The traditional way is with the stiles running fully top to bottom and carrying the mortice, with the rails tenoned. Nothing to say you can't do it the other way round though. Some furniture makers prefer to do paired doors that way because the rails appear to run right across that way. Probably been done that way in this case for the same sort of reason to make the rails go fully across between the corner pieces. looks better that way. I expect the chest you show is designed to be flat packed, if you don't need it to "knock down" you can use square corner stiles and mortice and tenon front / back adn side rails into them. Not complicated, just down to some reasonably careful hand work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back