Which white emulsion is WHITE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm repainting my flat in white. I have done all the woodwork in Dulux Pure Brilliant White Eggshell (which is a lovely white), now I want to match the walls. I got Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt emulsion but it turned out to be CREAM! Then I got Dulux Trade Supermatt White and that turned out to be yellow (see the image). Dulux Trade Pure Brilliant White Vinyl Matt is cream colour too when you put it next to the eggshell... I just want white walls to match my woodwork! I have read Leyland Trade PBW emulsion is cream colour too... I don't want to go down the route of mixing colours. Which brand emulsion is white-WHITE? White without the yellow, cream or any other hint, hue, tint or shade. Just white.
EB76FD68-C8B6-40D2-86DB-B107E500D096.JPG

Sponsored Links
Johnstone’s brilliant white works every time. You can buy it from B and M bargains. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Which one though? I see they have few options for Johnstone's brilliant white matt.

They are all good, I’ve never had an issue with any. But I will forward the one I use most.

Attachments

• BDBE502C-CABE-4E1C-A495-E2F3A7436436.png
    BDBE502C-CABE-4E1C-A495-E2F3A7436436.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 473
Sponsored Links
different manufacturers decide which white to use as their brilliant white.

RAL 9010 is pure white and the closest, but some use RAL 9016 traffic white or RAL 9003 signal white

Ive no idea if you can find out which white it is -I doubt if its on the can.

Johnstones is pretty good paint

Thanks Notch7. I'll do research into the RAL numbers. Who thought it be so complicated to get a white paint?

I'm in the exact same situation. What paint did you use in the end?

Dulux’s “brilliant white” is not brilliant white regardless of which dulux “brilliant white” emulsion you use. And their “white” emulsion is not white! That was confirmed to me directly by dulux. I didn’t repaint my walls at the end. I’m stuck with off white (yellow tint) walls.

Thanks for the quick reply. What chance have you got when Dulux confirm their white paint isn't white!

Exactly! I don't know how Dulux can get away with that! Got refund and a voucher for the hassle and their misleading claims... and kept the walls off white.

Valspar trade brilliant white is a nice ice white. Problem is white is a colour and one brand I use has 7 whites in their range.

yes, there is a huge number of white shades... but in my opinion.. "pure brilliant white" should be pure brilliant white regardless of what paint brand you buy it from... it should be simply standard paint colour. A paint that has a beige or yellow or any other hue is not PURE, nor BRILLIANT nor WHITE colour. Very frustrating how those paint companies get away with their misleading branding.

We are the only country with brilliant white I think. Take any of the BS colours and they differ from brand to brand when they should be the same. Dulux polished pebble (most popular colour) is completely different colour in the different bases like easy care or standard dulux. With the different light reflective properties from super flat to silk and many formulas the colours will never match. If you want woodwork to match walls and ceilings use one of the paints that can coat the lot..

Ironically the Dulux primer & undercoat for ceilings and walls is a nice "ice white" - I found this out to my detriment when I started painting over it with "Pure Brilliant White". I will check out the Valspar trade brilliant white, otherwise I may just stick to undercoat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back