Which Wood - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise on what would be the best wood to use for this project? Where would be the best place to purchase it from - Jewsons for example?

Need to build a cabinet with shelves for my conservatory, if you can image it will be floor standing and fixed to the wall with brackets, will have a base, uprights on either end, one upright in the middle, and shelves either side. As you are looking at the 'cabinet' (its a bar really!) the bottom right hand corner would have my Stella Fridge in it.

Forgot to say it would of course have a top to it!!!

Would probably be painting the wood afterwards but not made my mind up on that one quite yet.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sponsored Links
assuming its around 1.5m wide by 1m high and 500 deep then wood veneered mdf or ply with worktop on top if its to stand behind

if its only on the wall then worktop at 1m then further shelves up to and including optics ;)

How do you mean duplicate post? Think I only did it once!

Not to stand behind just against the wall!

Whats the best way to cut it? Have a jigsaw with a good quality Bosch blade but can never seem to get a good straight cut :oops: :oops:

Have purchased an undercover jig from Wolfcraft to screw and glue the panels together. Which will be the best wood for drilling and not splitting etc.

Hope this makes sense!!!!

Sponsored Links
How do you mean duplicate post? Think I only did it once!

l o l my duplicate post you cant remove posts so you put duplicate so they can remove it

Not to stand behind just against the wall!
ok thanks

Whats the best way to cut it? Have a jigsaw with a good quality Bosch blade but can never seem to get a good straight cut :oops: :oops:
circular saw is best
mark and cut on the blind side
if both sides are seen use a 6mm sacrificial bit of board on top clamp them together and cut to the mark on the 6mm

if you use a table saw place the 6mm underneath

Have purchased an undercover jig from Wolfcraft to screw and glue the panels together. Which will be the best wood for drilling and not splitting etc.
not shure if they will work in 12 or 15mm boards may be ok on 18mm board i dont know as i use buiscuts

should be ok on 18mm real wood of any description with a small pilot hole for hardwood or near the edge or end

Hope this makes sense
!!!![/QUOTE]
yep clear :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back