Which wood for window repair ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our front upstairs windows (bedroom) and back windows (crappy conservatory / lean to) need some attention outside i.e. paint stripping, some repair, and re-paint.

Just doing a bit of research as it's the first time i've done this particular job, some of the wood needs replacing, nothing too major but mainly beading and a bit of trim, since it's going to be painted can i use any type of wood available from B+Q, or do i need to use any special treated wood as it's for use outside ? The same question for facia boards ? From what i gather i should try and use a hardwood but any other info would be great

Many thanks
Alistair

Sponsored Links
try your wood yard /timber merchants the timber will be a better match especialy the facia boards
will also be better quality

brand new softwood from B&Q or anywhere else is probably the least durable. pressure treated might be the best you can get easily.
ideally get yourself to a reclaim yard for a bit of decent old softwood or pitch pine. add loads of extra preservative, great weather for it - it will dry out and be sucking in loads. use a good 2 part filler in the gaps and use some nails/screws, preferably stainless, in the old and new wood to help bond it to the filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back