Which would be best or recommended?

Sponsored Links
You could at least have linked to the finished item ;)

The unit in question was made with veneered MDF, 19mm for the cupboards and 26mm for the open shelves. Th ethicker countertops are just 19mm board with a 50mm wide strip along the edges to build up the thickness (19, 12 & 19 to give a 50mm look)

With the small span of the shelves 19mm would have been OK for all of it but the thicker stuff looks better.

It could also all be done from solid timber but the material cost will be much higher depending on timber species and the time to machine the timber, glue it into boards etc is a lot more, you would also need suitable machines.

MFC (Melamine faced chip/particle board) is another option but is generally only available in 18 or 8mm but does have the advantage of needing no finishing. Melamine faced MDF is also available and that does come in 18 & 25mm thickness. You can get matching edging for both but getting a decent cut edge needs a good saw or trimming with a router. Have a look at Egger for woodgrains and colours

Jason

Excellent, Thanks for the advice... I'm new to this forum and just want to say I had a look through your Photobucket albums and I've gotta say you produce some wonderful work. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back