Whinning Water Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hopefully someone can help me.

Last Saturday i stated getting a really loud whinning noise from the hot water pipe in my bathroom which is getting worse and worse by the day!

information
I have a combi boiler
I live in a ground floor flat
My water supply comes in to my bathroom
I have one bathroom with a power shower.

Now the problem is the hot water pipe but its a section between the bathroom sink and the hot supply for my shower. I know this because i can turn the supply off to the shower by a small screw in the pipe join. (sorry i have no plumbing knowledge at all so its all a bit crude im afraid)

The problem can be stopped by pushing up the end of the shower unit. however any tap that is turned on the flat starts the whining noise as does the toilet flush. It also just randomly starts doing it when ever it feels like it usually in the middle of the night!

Please can someone shed some light on this matter and possible solutions please.

Sponsored Links
Get the Water pressure measured, both working and static if greater than 3-00Bar get a pressure Reducing valve fitted after the main stop cock it sounds like water velocity noise caused by high pressure! ;)

The 'small screw in the pipe join'? If this is an isolator, turn it fully on. Any other position and they make a hell of a racket.
John :)

The 'small screw in the pipe join'? If this is an isolator, turn it fully on. Any other position and they make a hell of a racket.
John :)

Hi John

Yes it's an isolator that was the word I was after! and it still makes the noise at any position the isolator is on except fully off.

The shower was installed about 2 years ago and the isolator hadn't been touched un till the problem started. Ive not had a problem till this started about a week ago. As soon as I turn the isolator on the whining starts and doesn't stop unless the shower is fully on or I turn the supply off.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back