Whirlpool AWZ480E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sisters heavy duty whirlpool tumble dryer is not working. When i say not working i mean nothing happens at all.

Ive had the top off of it and 240 v is present all way to timer. The door micro switch seems to be ok.

I want to be sure it is the timer before splashing out on a new one as they are nearly a couple of hundred quid.

Any help would be greatley appreciated as she has 4 young kids and now summer hols

Cheers Wedge

Sponsored Links
It would help us a lot to identify the exact model if you post the 12 digit service number on the door sticker (it begins with 85).

Thanks zipper, the exact model is: 3RAWZ480EMQ3

I have a feeling that it may be a faulty main switch but iam unsure how to test this. Theres no continuity through any of the terminals. Should there be any or is it a resistence check i should be carrying out?

As i say the door switch is ok. I mainly work on gas boilers that dont have main switches anything like this. This one has what looks like a neutral coming from the power into the machine and another off a seperate terminal linking the timer.
Then the pink lead that iam presuming is a switch live?

Afraid the model number doesn't help much, we need the service number (sometimes called 12NC number). 12 digits & always numeric.

Sponsored Links
Cant see a 12 digit service number anywhere on machine

ive just rechecked continuity through main switch and when you press the switch it has continuity through the 2 blue terminals. but as soon as you release the switch, continuity drops out

sorry i cant be of help with service number

Afraid I can't give you reliable parts info without a service number (usually in the door opening and/or at the rear of the machine. But from what you describe it sounds like the switch may be faulty. If you understand the switch configuration & feel confident enough you could try temporarily bypassing it to see if that solves the problem. But be aware if you need to order spares the very first thing they will ask you for is the service number. Good luck ;)

Thanks again Zipper, i think we may be getting somewhere now.

12 digit code is: 85754800100

Not sure how to test this main switch. If you can help wit would be great

Heavy duty....wow you weren't kidding, this beast is 4.6kW.
The main switch switches only neutral but it is dual function & you need a schematic to assist you fault-find further.
Send me a private message with a valid email & I will send you the info you need. But first I would check the thermal cut-out & 6.3A fuse.
This should be your main switch http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=1094280&query=481227618483

I cant thank you enough Zipper for guiding me on this one.

A seized/faulty synchron motor on the back of the timer has caused the 6.3amp to blow.

These synchron motors we use in heating diverter valves and cost about 10 quid. Unfortunately they are slightly different. i have tried to source one but they appear to be rarer than hens teeth. So an expensive timer and cheap fuse.

My sister is very pleased. Last time she called Whirlpool out they charged her 200/hour as it is a semi commercial dryer and her last bill she said was over 600!!

Many thanks once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back