whirlpool ice maker won`t work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Our whirlpool ice maker doesn`t make ice, it has the the ice maker and water filter on the door but when you push the lever it makes the right noise but nothing comes out! anybody have any ideas??
thanks

Sponsored Links
You may get a better response if you post the model & service number.

Sorry been very busy with work the last few days.
Yes I`v had a look for the model service no: but can`t seem to find it. thought it may be on the back but NO! any ideas?

I assume this is a side by side fridge/freezer with associated bells & whistles. Take the fruit & veg tray out of the fridge & look for a sticker on one of the side walls. Quote the service numbers & type.

Sponsored Links
Buy one of those containers with the small squares in them. Fill with water, place in freezer fro a few hours. Viola,,,, Ice cubes a plenty. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Or the plastic bag type :idea: & save yourself the cost of a replacement bell & whistle valve?
Don't worry...we are just having a little fun at your expense :D

Ha ha ha :D
thanks fellas, I guess I deserve that :!:
Service No: 8586 151 15001
Model: S20B RSB21

How old is your SBS and is the control panel indicating correctly? Can you dispense water? Is it producing ice, have you checked the ice bucket? Have you tried switching ice type to clear any possible blockage? (if yes the trapdoor mechanism may be jammed). Is there condensation anyplace? If the freezer door is open the dispenser won't work. Most of this should be in your user manual, which I'm sure you have read :rolleyes:

Hi
The unit is approx 4 years old, everything works as it should on the control panel and yes we have water dispenser is working as it should the ice bucket works when the lever is activated I have switched between crushed ice and whole ice but makes no difference I have even switched the power off for a few days but does nothing to fix the problem.
When I look in the ice maker I see condensation but seems to be dry as in no water to make the ice, I`m wondering if the water pump or what ever takes the water to the ice maker has stopped working and so no water no ice! ?
thanks for your continued help

There is a double solenoid valve assembly, pull the plug & follow your water supply to find it. The valves are identified by colour...red for drinking water & black for ice. The black valve could be defective (jammed/open circuit). If you have a multimeter you ought to be able to compare resistances, they should be the same but I can't recall the value. If one is defective you'll have to change out the whole assembly. If it has to be changed then I strongly recommend you get it done by a qualified person. Water leaks can be very expensive & your insurance company won't pay for damage caused by a bodged DIY job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back