White 'residue' on wood near light bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I live in a rented house and there is some sort of white residue apearing on a wooden beam next to a light bulb. I cleaned it away, but it came back quite quickly.

Any clues as to what it may be?

Al

Sponsored Links
Regulation 422.3.1 states "Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m"
This is repeated with regulation 422.4.2 both which require "a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from combustible materials."

It would seem they are too close.

Just a guess, but I think it is probably condensation causing a mold to form.
As Eric says it is probably too close to the beam. Is it possible to fit some sort of heat proof reflector, the type you see in hand held inspection lamps.

Besides the regulations concerning distances between lights and combustible materials being complied to!
The stain is likely to be blushing, this is a moisture issue, could be down to leak, condensation or trapped moisture in timber if it has been sealed.
The affect could be being increased be the heat of the lamp.
If the wood is exposed and not sealed an old housewives cure, is a mixture of olive oil and vinegar to remove it, but whether the heat of the lamp will create another problem I could not say, it may be completely coincidental that the stain is in the same location as the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much everyone. I am going to try a energy bulb as they are colder and see if the stain comes back.

I will tell the landlord (who will do nothing) that the lamp is too close...

Thanks again everyone.

I will tell the landlord (who will do nothing) that the lamp is too close...
The landlord has a legal responsibility and a duty of care to their tenants to ensure the property is safe of danger or potential hazards.
They must prove in some way, that they have taken the correct actions to prevent any hazards or potential hazards. Unfortunately unlike gas, the electrical part gets overlooked and the powers that be, do not actually stipulate the best method or proof that should be performed/evidence of to comply to this requirement. I would suggest that only an "electrical installation conditional report" would be really suitable. And PAT testing of any appliances left under the agreement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back