White Stuff Between Stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question this.

I live in Glasgow, where most buildings, including my own home, are made of sandstone. The stone is always cut in large blocks and between each block there seems to be some white "pointing" the joints are always very small (less than 1cm) but every building I looked at on the way to work has it.

So what product is this white stuff? Reason I ask is some of it needs replaced on my own house, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff

THanks

Sponsored Links
Lime mortar.

There are very good reasons to use lime mortar rather than cement based mortar. You can buy lime mortar or putty from many suppliers online but if you can find a local supplier they usually know everything there is to know about local stone and the make up of original mortars used. They are also normally very willing to talk and give advice about techniques etc. Try googling for traditional lime suppliers in your area.

here's a site to be going on with.

http://www.scotlime.org/trad_lime.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back