1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

White Stuff Between Stones

Discussion in 'Building' started by chuckalicious, 1 Nov 2007.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Simple question this.

I live in Glasgow, where most buildings, including my own home, are made of sandstone. The stone is always cut in large blocks and between each block there seems to be some white "pointing" the joints are always very small (less than 1cm) but every building I looked at on the way to work has it.

So what product is this white stuff? Reason I ask is some of it needs replaced on my own house, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff

THanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. jeds

jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lime mortar.

There are very good reasons to use lime mortar rather than cement based mortar. You can buy lime mortar or putty from many suppliers online but if you can find a local supplier they usually know everything there is to know about local stone and the make up of original mortars used. They are also normally very willing to talk and give advice about techniques etc. Try googling for traditional lime suppliers in your area.

here's a site to be going on with.

http://www.scotlime.org/trad_lime.html

4. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ah right, that would make sense

I will read up then get hold of some and repoint.

cheers

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local