White stuff (salts) coming out of brick joints.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a few new garden walls walls around where i live with all this white stuff coming out. It completely ruins the look of the wall,why is this happening?

It seems to never stop,is it in the sand or the cement.and what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't happen when i get a wall built :D

Sponsored Links
Is it an external ground floor wall?

I've seen it before where there was a damp problem and the damp brought the salts out. We ended up curing the damp problem with an injected DPC and waterproof render for the first metre up and this stopped the salts.

Sponsored Links
I assume this is relatively new brickwork you are talking about?

It is efflourescence and incredibly common and nothing to worry about. It is unsightly but will eventually go away. It is caused by salts leaching out of the bricks and mortar. Just brush it off with a stiff brush, try to wash it off and you'll just prolong it.

As far as reducing the risk of it occuring on brickwork you want done you can buy bricks which are substatially less likely to suffer from it and various other practical things that a brickie can advise you of if you are particularly keen to avoid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back