White undercoat and black top coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm preparing to paint my new wood gate, it has been pressure treated at the shop. I'm looking to use Zinsser Cover Stain to undercoat it but I can only find it in white and I want the top coat to be a black satin finish (Sikkens Rubbol).

Does any know from experience if this would be ok or can advise me please?

Sponsored Links
You need a dark grey undercoat.

If you are certain you want to use that white cover stain first, you will then have to use a dark grey undercoat, then your black topcoat.

You won't cover white with black sucessfully without a dark grey undercoat.

Not familar with the paint system you have mentioned, so I hope someone can advise better, but traditionally you wouldn't put black topcoat straight on top of white undercoat. Too many streaks and poor coverage.

Is there any reason why you want to use zinsser? Sikkens do a primer/undercoat in grey if that helps, or you could use other stuff that doesn't need a primer/undercoat. I used Osmo country colour in black on a garden bench last year, looked good.

Well I already have the Sikkens paint as it is left over from painting other things in the garden last summer and I rearly like the satin sheen finish it produces. A couple of people on other forums recommended the Zinsser Primer but i'd consider other recommended primers too if anyone has used a really decent one for a black top coat?

Sponsored Links
Use zinsser 123 it can be tinted (dark grey) at a trade merchants like Brewers.

Ok cheers. does anyone know if i am supposed to put a primer coat on first before undercoat? It is treated soft wood if that makes any difference?

It will still need a primer as its basically raw wood with an open grain. I doubt you would need any of the Zinnser products and could go with undercoat and gloss after the initial primer. The preasure treatment wont come through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back