Whits end with Broadband signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon all,

Since moving to fibre with plusnet the signal has been shocking through out the house. Plusnet are as helpful as a chocolate fireguard so as soon as my contract is up, they are getting binned.

But in the meantime has anyone got any ideas how I can extend the wifi in my home? I have a home plug in a back bedroom but even that is temperamental as it allows my sons gaming machine a wired access and its not great. But anywhere apart from sat within 2 metres of the modem and in direct access is shocking. I cant even get good wifi through 1 wall.

I don't mind how much I have to pay but I am willing to get what I need to get access, uninterrupted throughout my house. I do have thick walls so that might have something to do with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what will work?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If your modem is dual band then Cabling is the best way t get it to work - Cat5 or Cat6.

Home plugs are an idea that realy only work when the house has a low-pass filter on the incoming mains.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply. I don't really know anything about modems but I have all CAT 6 cabling which I put in the attic as I went through the house re-decorating. I just haven't had time to do the attic yet so all the cables are up there waiting for me.

I have a home plug in a back bedroom but even that is temperamental as it allows my sons gaming machine a wired access and its not great.

https://www.ban-plt.org.uk/what.php

Home plugs create radio frequency energy which is sent along the mains cables, the cables act like aerials and radiate a lot of this radio frequency and this affects other equipment. It is possible that this radio freqency energy is affecting the operation of your broadband router / modem.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Firstly, let's separate the incoming internet connection from the wireless connection your devices have to your hub/router.

Given that you mention signal in your house, you're referring to the wi-fi rather than the internet connection. The newer hubs/routers use the 5GHz frequency, whilst this gives a much higher bandwidth signal so data transfer can be faster it is also massively affected by local conditions. Thick solid walls adversely affect the 5GHz band and I'm sorry to say but whoever you switch to will have the same issue as it's nothing to do with the underlying internet connection.

What you could do is configure the hub/router (if it's possible, the BT home hub allows this and plusnet are wholly owned by BT) and connect to the 2.4GHz endpoint. Whilst the speed/bandwidth on offer is much lower than the 5GHz band it is much less affected by thick walls and other house bound interference. The speed is more than adequate for web browsing and normal streaming and so on. If you want 4k you should be looking a CAT5e/CAT6 networking anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back