Who Are You?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British citizens should be given a digital ID card that includes their passport, driving licence, tax records and qualifications Tony Blair and William Hague have said.

Another idea - Good or bad?

Sponsored Links
Not totally against id card.

But seems a bit too big brother for my liking.

And if it's hacked? Which it will be, sooner or later

Sponsored Links
Nothing against ID cards per se, but why tax records, qualifications etc.
I would prefer to see your driving licence/passport if you had either of them, a secure link to your medical records/medication/organ donor, for medical emergencies, criminal record, (if you have one), and maybe your next of kin.
Access to the information would need to be very stringent with possibly multi-layered access verification depending on what info was needed.
E.G. A simple licence check needs one layer. Medical checks by ambulance/paramedics needs maybe 2 or even 3 levels.

Ukraine technology I heard.
App on phone with all records on. It was pioneered from necessity.
Other countries have been taking it on and only a matter of time before it comes to the UK I heard.

Passport.driving licence. Ect.

I'm all for it.

I think we should have an ID card with the basics on. To be shown when accessing nhs, housing support, social etc or when challenged by plod, tax man or other officials.

ID card yes, digital only - no way - too easily hacked and stolen from government servers that are still running on ancient technology.

Everyone to be given a digital ID number just like cattle on their way to slaughter.

but why tax records, qualifications etc.

Because it is easier to arrest somebody if records show they have broken laws in the past, even if accidental tax return mistake. People have been deported for it.

On either R4 or World Service this morning while I was driving to work, was an interview with a Ukrainian woman the channel has been following (pretty sure R4 now). Anyway, she was eager to run her own business again, but currently working in a factory. Her reason for not running her business is that she does not fully understand British law, and does not want to do anything that risks her being deported. Sad really. We need hard working entrepreneurs, but many are simply afraid to put their neck out, and instead do safe jobs and keep a low profile. There are people who are here legally and have a lot to contribute to our society.

Some amazing stories really, they also talked about companies that managed to relocate their whole operation within 3 days of the invasion - most are now in Poland, Germany etc. Not so many here.

There are many ways to positively give people ID. Give everybody a provisional driving licence for free, and everybody has ID. Do same with bus passes - free bus travel, with your ID.

The issue for many though is not if there is an ID card, it is if it becomes law that you need to carry it. Go for a jog, or to the pub and forget your card? Spend a night in jail!

When they start to mixing personal identification info with financial position into one big bundle of data, they surely have twisted reasons in the agenda.
I see nothing wrong with a digital ID with driving licence, id card and emergency contacts stored on them.
But even medical records shouldn't be there.
Once one's identity is not in doubt, the emergency services already have their own database holding the medical history.
The problem now is that some people have no id on them and if they are in an accident or suffer any medical emergency, the first medics on the scene would not have a clear idea of what they're dealing with.
Then I don't see the reason for any financial information to be included.

Sponsored Links
Back