who else keeps old wylex fuse boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dashed to a house today to replace a fuse wire in a 3036 for an old lady. The carrier was missing so i went to the van to get one from spares and saw that i had the choice of about 20 from the big bucket and also upon returning home that i need to sort out/bin my collection of Wylex boards gathering dust. Why do i keep them? They are like old friend. Very important, sometimes taken for granted, not seen for months.

Sponsored Links
never crossed your mind to ask WHY the carrier was missing?
perhaps the circuit had been deemed unsafe by someone and they took the carrier to stop her from using it?

I sold my collection of all but the newest breakers yesterday, it was worth it, and in the unlikely event I need one back, I can always buy it back of them.

Splendid.

click sure, who did you sell them to?

Coljack, why would the carrier absence prevent it being used, it was in use and yes, i deemed the circuit safe.

Sponsored Links
if the fuse has just blown, then obviously the carrier will still be there, or at least somewhere if the owner took it out to confirm it's gone..

if it's missing completely then there is usually a good reason.. someone took it with them or threw it away..

an unsound circuit or badly damaged holder for example..

if the carrier was missing then one must suspect that the circuit in question hasn't been used for a while.. ( ie to prevent "nan" from turning on an immersion heater that has been de-comissioned since the installation of a combi boiler etc.. )

click sure is gonna love this. I meant the holder. :oops: sorry. the fuse carrier was plugged in without the holder being in situ.

Coljack.

The carrier (or fuse carrier) is the piece that covers the busbar - the fuse is the piece you pull out.

It sounds like the OP was covering the exposed live parts ;)

A carrier missing is seen suprisingly often, that or even worse, a blank. Often due to a broken busbar assemly leaving no thread for the carriers screw.

not it's not.. the fuse carrier is the bit that carries the fuse.. the bit you pull out and put the fuse wire into or the cartridge fuse into..

the bit that covers the busbar is a busbar cover... or fuse base..

read clicksure's signature..
;)

17thman:

Oh dear, you can just take the guts out of a wylex standard and do whatever you like with it, unsafely, one of many reasons why we should be, by now refusing to work without it being upgraded to something DIN rail based.

Sold them to a well known independant in my area, you should know your local independant wholesaler who you can rely on to hold stock of obscure things...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back