Wylex Fuses

pff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I finally got around to wiring up interconnected smoke detectors you all were so kind to help me with.
Unfortunately instructions claim i cannot power them from a circuit that contains fluorescent lighting.
Fortunately, i have a spare way in the old plastic and wooden wylex fuse box under the stairs, so i nipped out to the shop and bought a "B Type Plug in Mini Trip Breaker 6 Amp"
Well, was i upset when i realised that my prize new mcb was not compatible, the pins are too close to fit properly into the board.
I have had a poke around, but i cant find anywhere detailing the different types of board and fuse/breaker.

this site shows exactly the kind of board i have, with new type fuse carriers moulded from coloured plastic
http://www.flameport.com/electric/old_equipment/wylex_standard_brown_wooden.cs4

Would anyone be so kind as to help me with what kind of fuse or mcb i need for my board?

Sponsored Links
Your plug-in breaker should come complete with a plug in shroud.
You remove the existing one from the board and fit the new one. It will have the correct pitch to match the plug in breaker.
Look at this picture that white bit behind the breker is what you need.

Take it back and complain if you havent got the other part!

hmmm, the breaker i got is exactly as the one in your link,
I understand that i will have to replace the shroud, i was just concerned as the new shroud is a different style to the old one, there is a groove in the middle and as i mentioned the pins are closer together, i thought that the socket behind the shroud might have made a bad connection if i tried shoving the wrong style breaker in.
I havent taken it out of the packet yet though, so i guess ill go try again.
Thanks.

I understand that i will have to replace the shroud, i was just concerned as the new shroud is a different style to the old one, there is a groove in the middle and as i mentioned the pins are closer together, i thought that the socket behind the shroud might have made a bad connection if i tried shoving the wrong style breaker in.
Thanks.

No it will fit,but will it be legal???

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

It is designed to do the job.
Turn the main switch off and swop the base with the one supplied. The contacts in the board are made wide enough to make good contact.
Once you've done that you need to check the EFLI to ensure disconnect time is within limits.

Oh dear, well i completed the job yesterday evening, and as you say, the board is designed to take fuses with differently spaced contacts than the one 5a fuse i looked at.

I must confess i have neither equipment or training to do any certification of the work, other than it turns on and the wires don't move around if you give them a gentle tug.
I suppose these tests are something i should be concerned about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back