Who follows Part P anyway?

Sponsored Links
Does Part P apply only to England & Wales, or to the whole of the UK (including Scotland) ???

Sponsored Links
If you are in a competent person scheme in England are you able to sign off your own work in Scotland or do you have to join McNICeic?

I don't think it does.
Only Select and NICEIC can classify you as a Certifier of Construction (Electrical Installations to BS7671).
If you are a member of the NICEIC then you can ask them, I'd imagine all the building regs paperwork is quite different between the two countries.
Select is a Scotish organization.

There is no point you quoting ever larger and larger sums of money - you are only doing that to try and deflect attention from the fact that your dislike is not financially motivated - you just don't like the scheme.

I've never tried to make any secret of the fact that I don't like it, but that in no way alters the fact that the fees are extortionate and the way local authorities are implementing it makes the whole idea of it being to "improve safety" a big joke.

I wonder how many people as a result of signing upto a competent person scheme have been out and bought proper calibrated test equipment, and now routinely test and fill out test certificates at the end of jobs?

I count as One. I am with Elecsa, I am assessed every year, I hold liability insurance and my equipment is calibrated annually. I issue a certificate for every job, whether it's changing a light fitting or a rewire. I did a domestic installer scheme 3 years ago, as a change of career and not looked back. Go for it Martin, I hope it works out well for you.

I've never tried to make any secret of the fact that I don't like it, but that in no way alters the fact that the fees are extortionate and the way local authorities are implementing it makes the whole idea of it being to "improve safety" a big joke.
And none of that in any way alters the fact that you may not choose to ignore it.

I wonder how many people as a result of signing upto a competent person scheme have been out and bought proper calibrated test equipment, and now routinely test and fill out test certificates at the end of jobs?

I count as One. I am with Elecsa, I am assessed every year, I hold liability insurance and my equipment is calibrated annually. I issue a certificate for every job, whether it's changing a light fitting or a rewire. I did a domestic installer scheme 3 years ago, as a change of career and not looked back. Go for it Martin, I hope it works out well for you.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Do you think you would you have honestly still gone to all the bother of getting insurance, calibrated test equipment, and testing each job you do had it not been a legal requirement to do so?

Not trying to trip you up or anything. I'm just curious to see wether someone like you is actually a success story that shows that although Part P has much to be desired, it is helping to bring up standards within the industry.

If you are in a competent person scheme in England

[rant] Pah, "competent person" scheme indeed... I'm not against the idea of a scheme, what I hate is the terminology they chose. Why not "Part P certified installer"? It's a lot clearer what it means and as an added bonus isn't derogatory to every competent person who isn't regarded as "competent" by the bloke down the BCO. :rolleyes:

I'm "competent" to design and install my installation. I must be, or the BCO wouldn't accept my work for their "competent person" to test. They just wouldn't accept that I am "competent" to test the installation...

I don't own bespoke, ruggedised kit with "Part P" stamped on the box but I could use a sampling oscilloscope to test a domestic wiring system to spec. I realise that BCO can't make exceptions because any scheme like this has to be black-and-white or it doesn't work. I want to be able to sell my house one day, so I will go along with their scheme. But, I could perfectly well design my own test spec and test routine. I think I would be on a hiding to nothing though so it's easier to pay them their £250 and be done with it. :evil:

[/rant]

A few years back my mate fitted his own alarm system in his house, then rang up the insurance company to get his premium lowered. They asked for proof that the system was installed by a "competent engineer", so he faxed them his MEng certificate and proof of his Fellow status at the IEE (as it was then).

They accepted that he was indeed a "competent engineer", so he got his reduction. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back