Who owns the drains, I want to move them

K

kuytd

Hi.

I was thing about a little extension on the house, but am a bit scuppered by the main sewer / drain, and my kitchen sink drain.

Where my permitted development extension would lie, happens to be right over the manhole cover in the garden. I know its the sewer, as I have taken the cover off, and flushed the bog, which sent water through it.

Obviously I cant move it myself, and I don't want to go and build over it. So who do I talk to about moving it?

Also, my sink is on the outside wall, and drains just outside. Again this would get in the way, because it would be in the extension, so how do you re-route it?...

Sponsored Links
if it on your property and is only connected to your property then it can be done no problem probably by whoever digs your foundations.

however if other properties are connected to this drain then you need to speak to your local water company find out who is responsable for drainage in your area. then you can arrange to have the sewer moved by an approved contractor

Hi.

Yeah, its the suburbs so the sewer serves loads of houses. So I take it its quite commonly done then?

yea it wont be a problem really

where i am anglian water cover the sewers so find your equivilant and start there they will be able to advise you of the correct steps to take.

your other option is to have it move by someone and dont let the water company know, but they might get a bit angry if they find out

when you conntact a builder about your extension they may be able to advise you just dont let them build straight over it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back