Who pays, installer or household insurance?

They all specifically do NOT cover putting right the plumbing fault which causes the leak
Well I've been paid by an ins co for fixing a leak! That one was an endfeed connection which had only been soldered round the end.

Bit more on this one - it was a compression joint which had held 3 bar, on a new heating system. After running for about 4 weeks, the pipe jumped out. Couldn't have been done up much at all, because he "just pushed the pipe in and did it up", ie no new olive.

The suggestion of what's going to happen:
Plumber (whose fault/responsibility it was) will give customer a bill for £200 for fixing the leak in an "old water pipe". That'll cover the excess nicely. Then the ins co will be expected to pay for everything. Since the ins co are hardly going to take up floors looking for new bits of pipe, they'll probably get away with it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Last week another guy I was working with was asked by his customer to write a fictitious report to cover the fact that his carpets had been ruined when he left two rad vents open. He asked me what he should do, and I said that I was inclined to tell him to go forth and multiply.

It strikes me that there are more dishonest punters than dishonest tradespeople.

holty said:
what about if a compotent plumber does all the necessary checks,then does a dry air test say 5 bar for 1 hour. all is ok, then one week later a joint fails. seen it happen to numerous plumbers,myself and probably you who are reading this. ...............

No, doesn't happen to me, but then on mains water I do a 10bar hydraulic test. Air tests are no good except to show you are testing something, and on a heating system they can be positively hazardous.

Softus said:
Last week another guy I was working with was asked by his customer to write a fictitious report to cover the fact that his carpets had been ruined when he left two rad vents open. He asked me what he should do, and I said that I was inclined to tell him to go forth and multiply.

Wouldn't have to be a ficticious report, he could say the carpet was damaged by leakage after rad valves were left open. I expect the insurance company would pay, and just remove one of the customer's nine lives. One day they might say "on yer bike". :evil:

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Wouldn't have to be a ficticious report, he could say the carpet was damaged by leakage after rad valves were left open. I expect the insurance company would pay, and just remove one of the customer's nine lives. One day they might say "on yer bike". :evil:
Good observation - this is exactly what my cohort decided he would do - I was just indignant on his behalf because he'd been directly asked to make something up, i.e. tell lies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back