Who to trust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 19 year old boiler is broken - condemned and we need a new one.

We have a valliant traditional boiler which is housed in the cupboard in the living room which heats a hot water tank in the cupboard directly above. The flu then goes direct to the loft and out the roof. The replacement (combi) will go in the upstairs cupboard and the flu direct up to the loft. We are mid terraced so this is really the best place for the boiler and flu. We have 1 bathroom in a small house.

We got a quote from a plumber who was recommended by family who have used him and said several other people have been happy with his work.

However, he never turned up twice and has said that there were problems getting the vertical flu adapter for the ferolli 31HE. I was angry as he never called so we got another quote.

The second plumber has said that he thinks the first guy has done a runner as he has under quoted, not realising that a vertical flu is more expensive and likely to cost about the same as a boiler. He also said the boiler should go in the same location.

I finally got hold of the first plumber who said as he let me down twice he thought he lost my business and did not call back. Despite his bad attitude, he said something along the lines that the 31HE was being replaced and the adaptor for the flu was not being stocked and he was told it was in, then 3 days then 7 days. He has said he can supply the 31HE+ for same price.

He also said that is was a lie that a vertical flu was more expensive and could cost same as a boiler. He said the flus are about £40 but we will need 4 units to go to the roof.

I don't know who to believe. I don't want to quote exact figures but the fist guy said he can do it all for under £1500 (the gas and pip work is straight forward). This first guy was recommended and he is giving me details of parts and an explanation of the problem so does seem trustworthy despite his lack of customer service skills. However, the second guy may have a point but I don't know his track record.

Any advise please?

Tam

Sponsored Links
Firstly the vertical flue will not cost the same as the boiler ,probably add on extra hundred quid or so

secondly you are going from vaillant to very poor quality ferroli boiler,I would not fit one of these in my own house for love or money

Another very important point is the chemical flushing of the sytem,as you afre converting from open vent to sealed combination boiler the system need to be meticulously clean,How are they going to achieve this/?
powerflush or chemical flush/

The price seems very cheap,If a quality vaillant boiler or something half decent is used then obviously this will reflect on the price ,I suggest you get another quote with a different boiler

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I asked about powerflushing the radiators and he said he would add £100 to flush them by adding something and coming back a few days later (I assume he would start the process when he comes to do the boiler).

He asked a few questions about what type of boiler we required and when we said we plan to stay in the house for several years, he gave the impression that we would get a quality boiler. :mad:

This job doesnt sound very professional to me,thats personal opinion.
I would ask for written estimate or quote to exactly explain what you are getting for your 1500 quid

You need to get this right,wether you are living there or not is very irrelevant.Its not very nice leaving someone else holding the baby!

Sponsored Links
google/yell.com plumbers in your area and get minimum 3 quotes.

What model of Vaillent do you have. Why has the boiler been condemned?

Regularly fix boilers condemned by wide boys looking to sell you a boiler. By all means replace the boiler if you have to but not if you are tricked into doing so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back