Who to use to fit a breathable membrane in a pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need lots of tiles replacing on pitched roof to my house. Have also been advised there is lots of cardboard used in loft to cover underneath the pitched roof.

Should there be a breathable membrane instead? If so who should I contact to get the job done? A roofer or a builder or what? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Roofs are for roofers! - While some builders can undertake the work, unless you know them it is not worth the gamble. You can always take a peek at my Roof album to see a couple of examples of a builder doing roof work.

Very old roofs frequently have no membrane whatsoever. If your roof needs loads of new tiles, it may be time to consider getting it reroofed complete with appropriate membrane. otherwise just replace what is needed.

upload a photo of you roof, it would help to get a general opinion on how bad it is.

While replacement of tiles could well be within the scope of DIY a lot comes down to confidence at heights and your attitude to safety.

Cardboard to the underside is no use. Perhaps some-one was trying to reduce the draft!

as long as you realise all the tiles need to be removed to do it so not a cheap job

Sorry for the confusion. I am getting a roofer to repair the tiles on the roof. However there is nothing inside the loft attached to the rafters apart from pieces of cardboard that the previous owners have used.

I have done a bit of reading on the internet and have read I will need breathable membrane once I have chucked all the cardboard away. That is why I am wondering who to use to put a lining on the inside of the roof in the loft? Am I understanding this correctly?

Sponsored Links
The membrane goes over your rafters so the roof would be stripped off complete including the tile battens, then put back starting with the membrane.

You don't fit the membrane from inside the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back