Whole UPVC unit moves when pushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved in a year ago and am finally decorating the last room...... I have now discovered that the top corner of the double glazed unit moves when pressure is put on it. Approx 5" at the top and 8" down the side moves and perhaps a whole lot more if I gave it a jolly good shove!

They are cheapish units I think and are fitted on the inside by sealant only. Can't check out the outside as it is a bedroom window and above a victorian ground floor bay which makes it hard to see. On the outside of most of the other windows there is a plastic strip stuck on the stone window frames at right angles to the windows. Does this hide the fixing?

As a gal of a certain age, I'm not too confident about getting up there on a ladder but would appreciate knowing what need to be done. Is it a big job? I would just like to know what I'm talking about when I am speaking to a tradesman.

Perhaps if it is really simple, I could get a couple of people to hold the ladder for me (and a blanket underneath!!)

Sponsored Links
Is it one window that opens out? In other words, does the casement open and you can get to the inside of the frame?

If so you can drill through the frame and into the wall using plugless masonry screws. This can all be done from inside the room. :)

Thanks for your reply.

I have just had a closer look at it and yes it does open at the top. There is only on screw visible on that inside face. Should I take it out and replace it with a longer one or put one in a new place?

The whole window moves slightly if I pull it in tightly. This pulls it away from the sealant on the outside and shows that there are quite a few places where there doesn't seem to be any sealant at all. Some of this I could reach from the inside but not all unfortunately.

A man with a ladder seems to be needed I'm afraid............... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back