who's responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, The company i sub to for fitting kitchens put me in touch with a couple whom had employed builders to put a two storey extension on the rear of their property. So, i have fitted the new kitchen in the new extension but noticed that no waste pipe for the sink waste had been brought in to the room where the kitchen is, i looked outside and there is a gully in the ground for the waste to access but that's it.

So, i have beef with this, i didn't price to core drill the wall to connect the sink waste to the gully as i was told by customer that builders were doing it, surely its the responsibility of the builder to bring the services into the house and not mine. My gripe is completely money/time orientated i.e my money my time. When i think it should be their responsibilty.

Who's responsibilty do you think it is? Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the gully is outside really for a waste pipe, then it would normally be part of the kitchen fit. You can't expect builders to bring the waste in from an external gully

But if you were told that the builders were doing it, then that's it, part of the builders job

I can't see how it would work though, as who is going to pipe the waste - where does your waste stop and the builders waste start?

If you were told the builders were doing it then the builder should do it.

If the Customer wants you to do it then charge them an hours Labour and Materials.

Sponsored Links
I would expect my plumber to take the first fix waste to the general location of the sink but for my kitchen fitter to do the final connections.

It's the builders job to core holes and take any responsibility for gashing up expensive renderings.

He/she should be geared up to do that or have left the necessary holes whilst building.
Simples.

If a kitchen fitter started coring then where would it end? "ere guvnor, put yer chisels down a minute and core this 4" sewer run .. there's a good lad"

It's the builders job to core holes and take any responsibility for gashing up expensive renderings.

Typically "the builders" only provide the main drainage, and the fitting out contractors would be responsible for all connections to the main drainage system.

As part of this, it would include making holes to the structure for their pipework. A builder cant drill the holes as he would not know where they are to go. The installer makes the holes to suit his own pipe runs

Its the same principles for any of the services - ie the services are brought to the property, to a point inside or outside the building and then from that point the trades of the individual services take over and connect to them

Well I was building a garden fence today, the days of saying thats not my job have gone, how do you think the polish workers who come over to work in this country would get on by saying thats not my job.

Typically "the builders" only provide the main drainage

Then why was it left outside the main building?
They fekked up that's why, so its their job to drill the hole and get the pipework inside for easy access.
End of story.

Because in this country we have gullies externally and the wastes run outside to them

Because in this country we have gullies externally and the wastes run outside to them

Bull.
Its a new extension.
Only cowboys run exposed wastes. Aesthetically it's an eyesore and heavy frost will block them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back