who's responsibility

How is a builder or anyone else for that matter going to know exactly where a 50mm hole location for the kitchen sink waste, is going to end up?

Could be left a bit or right a bit or higher or lower. Better to drill when minds have been made up.

Or are you suggesting that a builder should follow all the trades about, i.e. sparky (extractor ducts), plumber (svp, boiler flue etc) and kitchen fitter (sink wastes) and drill holes for them all......or, according to you Norcs, leave all these holes in their ideal places whilst he is building?

Whilst i agree that it is possible to build in a sleeve of 110mm pipe in some instances, it is not always practical or sensible. People/clients often change their minds about locations.

So, when a kitchen fitter, plumber or sparks prices to do a job, he then rings up a builder to come and drill some holes?

Are you having a giraffe?

Sponsored Links
Because in this country we have gullies externally and the wastes run outside to them

Bull.
Its a new extension.
Only cowboys run exposed wastes. Aesthetically it's an eyesore and heavy frost will block them.

Err no. You stick to unfeasibly large civil engineering works, and let me tell you how building work is done.

We have external gullies in this country, they work, they are not done by cowboys, and they are acceptable

Because in this country we have gullies externally and the wastes run outside to them

Bull.
Its a new extension.
Only cowboys run exposed wastes. Aesthetically it's an eyesore and heavy frost will block them.

Err no. You stick to unfeasibly large civil engineering works, and let me tell you how building work is done.

We have external gullies in this country, they work, they are not done by cowboys, and they are acceptable

What you are proposing is bodge work.

You see something written in a book and think that's OK. It must be right eh?

We have brought 110mm pipes into a building and up through the concrete slab, like for a pre-set loo position or a pre-determined sink or washing machine position whereby these items could not realistically be positioned anywhere else. Like in a small downstairs loo for example where the loo position is obvious.

However, in almost all other cases the svp or stub stack or gully is drawn by architects so that is external and can be positioned to suit the customers needs or designs. In this instance you make the drainage suit the building which is the sensible preferred method.

Once a 110mm service is brought up through the slab it can not be altered. Fatal if people are frequent mind changers.

Sponsored Links
Once a 110mm service is brought up through the slab it can not be altered. Fatal if people are frequent mind changers.

Anything can be altered.

But why would it need too if its serving basin and bath wastes or kitchen where by you run a 50mm pipe to the desired location.

Over here in the province that's how it done. Though I think you english builders do something stupid with the floor.

Like lay the insulation below the sub floor. :LOL: :LOL:

Just different thats all Norcs.

I liked some of the stuff i saw being built when i was seeing a wee gal in Aughnacloy, but other things i did not.

Like i say, just different. Ho hum.

If you were told that the builders would do it when you signed the contract, then it's up to them to finish that off.

But if that was not part of the contract, then that part is all up to you to finish!

Lesson learnt, was dont take the customers word when they say the builder is doing the core drill supposedly having checked with them and being assured the builders plumber would do it once sink base was in the right place! I couldn't be bothered with aggro of arguing the point and did it myself, next time it goes in my price regardless.

Cheers.

If you were told that the builders would do it when you signed the contract, then it's up to them to finish that off.

But if that was not part of the contract, then that part is all up to you to finish!

Am I missing something here "Contract" I give customer a quote they accept quote, I fit kitchen give customer invoice, they pay. At no point have I drawn up a contract for signatures?

I'm glad i don't work in the South East.

Imagine the hassle, expense and heartache of having to drill a hole.......

....ALL BY YOURSELF!!!

It must be tough down there what with all those contracts and everything.

Ever heard of charging for extras? Or is the thought of core drilling a difficult process?

Yes indeed I am still perplexed at how I dealt with the hassle, expense and heartache of having to drill a hole. I am still in awe of my seemingly limitless skill set which allows me to perform such audacious tasks, equally I am in awe at the level of sarcasm you so effortlessly communicate noseall.

I cant wait until i need to ask another question, i really really hope you reply.

If drilling a hole for a 40mm waste pipe was my only worry on a job I'd be a happy man. It is hardly a hassle worth bothering with.

Just get on with it and charge an extra £20 quid for your troubles. It's not as if core drilling is unusual for a kitchen fitter or that you won't use a core bit again.

Goodness me. Imagine if they asked you to fit a wine rack! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back