Who's responsible for fixing the cracks?

3 Jan 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My bungalow was extended just over 3 years ago and some fine cracks appeared on walls (plaster-on-aerated block) and ceilings (skimmed plasterboard) after 6 months to a year. No new cracks have appeared since although one or two may have grown longer and opened up a touch more but no crack is wider than about 1.5mm. A couple are approx. a metre long, most are shorter. All cracks are within about a metre of where old meets new.

Guess it's time to repair these (settlement?) cracks. Who is responsible for fixing them? I checked the builder's contract - it used a FMB template - and the defects liability period has long since passed. There is a clause in the Quotation though that states all new works are offered with a six year guarantee, though it doesn't give any conditions or explain what is covered.

I got on well with the builders and they did a good job, in my opinion. I don't want to contact them about the cracks if it's not the done thing.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local