Why are quotes so widely varied for same job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would quotes for the same job be so different? My son told me that he has such from four installers, and that the work asked from each is identical. The range is around £2900. As he lives in the affluent South-east I would not prices to be the lowest. So uou can see what son wants done see image below that includes the various quotes. In each case profile is 70mm

Sponsored Links
Your big national companies would come in Highh, any company who have large over heads would come in high, companies that dont have time or doesn't see the job worth while again could be overpriced, small recommended local companies is the way forward.
I would question any company that offers 'A Rated Obscure Glass'

Your big national companies would come in Highh, any company who have large over heads would come in high, companies that dont have time or doesn't see the job worth while again could be overpriced, small recommended local companies is the way forward.
I would question any company that offers 'A Rated Obscure Glass'

Thanks for post. He avoided the nationals on purpose, so I meant the four he'd had quotes for. It's those differences that bug me.

I'm curious about the last sentance. Can you please expand and say why? Myself I'm a non-techie.

People get suckered in by exaggerated claims regarding glazing, i.e. gas filled, thermal this - solar that etc.

Whilst it can make some difference that actual true difference is not that great in a domestic situation. It can all be negated in an instant if the windows are poorly fitted in any case. A small draught on a cold day will kill any of the benefits of double glazing.

Go with a recommended local firm along with their own (on the books) fitters.

Sponsored Links
The last part of Dh Frames is correct...you can not have an 'a ' rated obscure glass. For any frame that has its glass in it to be classed as A rated would have to include Diamant Glass ( low Iron ...optically clearer than std glass ) , and Low e Glass ( usually Planitherm Softcoast ..designed to keep the heat in.) In the case of an obscure glass , you must be missing one of those two glasses, and I am hoping it will be the Diamant glass, as Low e glass is a must!

There are other points to bear in mind wit A Rated frames .... anything added to the frame , such as Frame extenders ( commonly called Add-on ) , Trickle vents or Frame joiners means ' technically ' generally will NOT be A rated , as it has never been tested in those scenerios

Also whys the Lounge ' C ' rated and all the rest are 'A' ??

i also think salesmen/ women look at the property and make assumptions on how much you earn , nice car or cars , and inflate the price accordingly

He has asked me how much might be charged additionally for dealing with the surrounds of the two rear dormer windows. He mentions replacement or cladding over. Any thoughts on cost or preferable method?

Pic attached
201000_200404_92087_63693346_thumb.jpg

Nowhere near as big a difference as in the examples you give, but after moving from a four bed semi in Merseyside to a bungalow in Wales we were quoted around 1600 quid for replacement of two windows by a Merseyside company. They would have been required to do a round trip of about 70 miles per day to do the job, and estimated two days. We asked them for the first quote because they had replaced all our windows prior to our moving, and done a really good job.

A local company in our new location quoted £1000 for those same two windows. I hadn't considered the first company to be particularly expensive and was taken aback at the difference. Clearly travel expenses had some bearing on that final price, but that didn't account for the difference in price of the product itself, surely?

Needless to say, we went with the local firm to save money, and despite a slight blip when they put ordinary glass in a location which should have had toughened glass, we were very pleased with the work.

I see there are profiles S706, Thermo and Edge that the installers use. Is there actually much difference between them in performance for price differential? Has anyone idea by what % one is dearer than the others?

Egde and s706 are standard profiles on offer from Rehau, to joe public the edge system will be slightly dearer by approx 10%. The Thermo system is again the edge and s706 system but an added foam section is then added to the profile, this then brings the u value down to 0.8-0.9 when used with the appropriate glazing. So say??!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back