Why Bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to replace a shower unit this morning, the millisecond i got there i knew it was a diy house all over. Shower on 30amp rewirable, no rcd, tns with a 6mm earthing conductor that was broke but sort of attached to the bonding, i could go on and on....brass wall lights in the bathroom over the sink.
Anyway i explain this to the girl, she sort of knows it is in bog order, do a Ze on the shower and the socket outlets and surprisingly got good readings, she said her fella will be home soon, so we could go through the options.

This nob-ed pulls up in brand new audi and says its no problem as they have had no problems. Never said a word just got me toolbox and fecked off...idiots

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound DIY'ed (other than possibly the brass lights).......just out of date.

I am not a sparky at all just somebody that knows a little bit about electrics and does some basic wiring work. However I pretty certain wiring a shower into the ring main was never legal!

The RCD law is fairly recent isn't it?

Sponsored Links
I am not a sparky at all just somebody that knows a little bit about electrics and does some basic wiring work. However I pretty certain wiring a shower into the ring main was never legal!

The RCD law is fairly recent isn't it?

We love people like you. Keep us in work for years, you will!

Thank you very much. :LOL:

Sorry I took it to be apart of the ring main as you mentioned the 30amp fuse. I now realise this was just mentioned due to the lack of circuit braker and the use of a fuse, didn't read it properly.

The difference between me and other DIYers that know a bit about electrics is I know when to stop. I don't go round randomly adding spurs into spurs like some people do

:D

Sorry I took it to be apart of the ring main as you mentioned the 30amp fuse. I now realise this was just mentioned due to the lack of circuit braker and the use of a fuse, didn't read it properly.

The difference between me and other DIYers that know a bit about electrics is I know when to stop. I don't go round randomly adding spurs into spurs like some people do

:D

yes but the problem is you say you do basic electrical work then know when to stop, but do you seriously know how to do a basic job say like extending a ring final circuit? How would you even check it was safe to extend?

Surprised BAS hasn't jumped on this - but surely you'd do a Zs at the sockets and shower and a Ze at the main board.

Doesn't sound DIY'ed (other than possibly the brass lights).......just out of date.
I've got chrome wall lights in my bathroom.

What does the choice of brass prove, other than an ignorance of how the metal will perform in a humid environment?

He didn't mention IP ratings, zone location or if they had been included in the supplementary bonding arrangement (if applicable).
Either will have a bearing on whether the installation was safe or unsafe.

Surprised BAS hasn't jumped on this - but surely you'd do a Zs at the sockets and shower and a Ze at the main board.

Yes, sorry i meant Zs, and shower had nothing to do with sockets but did a Zs anyway.

He didn't mention IP ratings, zone location or if they had been included in the supplementary bonding arrangement (if applicable).
Either will have a bearing on whether the installation was safe or unsafe.

What supplementary bonding?
Like i said in OP i could go on and on, somehow the stopcock ended up right over the C.unit :eek:

Who are you calling a C.unit? ;)

Joking aside, was the top of the C.unit sealed to the correct IP rating?

Who are you calling a C.unit? ;)

Joking aside, was the top of the C.unit sealed to the correct IP rating?

LOL, securespark, the whole installation was a mess, and i was gonna go through the options but this blurt looked like he was only interested in himself, attitude stunk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back