Why can't we drill through our wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Other half is trying to install a power point in the garden. He is drilling a hole through the brick wall of the (newish) conservatory from the inside out, using a 10mm masonry drill on hammer action. He has succeeded in drilling about 24cms in but can get no further. He must nearly be through so what can be stopping him? Would appreciate any ideas or help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) How long is the drill bit ?
2) You've hit an obstacle.
3) Your drills not up to it.

Thanks Eddie.

Drill bit plenty long enough at 400mm, and already successfully drilled 240mms so it had to be an obstacle. After leaving the drill to cool down for a while he had a final push and he's through. A thin chunk of the outside brick came off and revealed that just under the surface of the red brick was a patch of almost black cement (??) about the size of a 10p piece. This must have been much harder than the brick as it shows where the head of the drill bit had made an impreesion but would not go through. He had to pick that spot didn't he!!!!

Tip for the future, before you're finally through the wall, take the hammer action off, prevents break out on the other side.

oh, and use these

next time, mind you from the picture they look rank to me.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Tip for the future, before you're finally through the wall, take the hammer action off, prevents break out on the other side.

oh, and use these

next time, mind you from the picture they look rank to me.

Yes, we were only using a cheap Wilkinsons drill bit - about £3.50- but it was fine until it hit this 'black' spot and even then it didn't break. Anyway, I don't expect it will ever be used again.

Thanks again.

these days bricks are made up of all sorts inside and just faced nicely, there probably was a bit of slag or something in the brick, but the cheap and nasty drill bit defo wouldn't have helped :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back