why do homes need water header tanks?

It may be set up as vented so will obviously work fine.
Nothing wrong with stored water.

Fast bath fills and tap running capabilities with no influence from other users in the property (especially large properties) are their main advantage IMO.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with stored water.

Apart from dead insects and rodents swimming in the water you use for brushing your teeth and washing your face. Yuck.

Not to mention that legionella from unvented cylinders kills more people than gasincidents.

And it doesn't give you a decent shower.

And sooner or later the ballcock will stick to either open or shut
Which is a great time to check the overflow does not cause problems

But we have always done it that way, so it must be great.

In that case, it is not unvented, is it?
Why assume it is?

Not to mention that legionella from unvented cylinders kills more people than gasincidents

I think you mean vented. :rolleyes:
Have you figures to back this statement up?

Apart from dead insects and rodents swimming in the water you use for brushing your teeth and washing your face. Yuck

If you're having these problems then your installation methods are obviously flawed. :rolleyes:

And it doesn't give you a decent shower.

That's a matter of opinion. My shower has 1.1m head and the shower is fine.

Sponsored Links
Have you figures to back this statement up?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Grrrr, that is the second time in 24 hours I did that.

Didn't keep them, but they came out googling legionella/legionnaires disease.
I think it was something like 35 per year, half of it from domestic hot water,

I wouldn't call that assuming

I would.
He sounds like a diyer so may not be familiar with the controls associated with an unvented cylinder.
So when he sees a vessel suitable for unvented water he just assumes it's an unvented cylinder.

But of course I could be wrong. ;)

If you're having these problems then your installation methods are obviously flawed. :rolleyes:

I don't have these problems, as I don't install open vented carp, but many people do. Have them, that is.

Although rumour has it that there are still dinosaurs that install them.

This is getting far too complicated for me on a sunday morning. I think that he thinks that I might......

The only thing I can follow is your reasoning that he is not a pro, which I won't argue.
I am still hoping for something interesting from the op as I am curious to find out why he gives two hoots about the setup of his uncle's dhw.

I don't have these problems, as I don't install open vented carp

Obviously not. :rolleyes:

but many people do. Have them, that is

Indeed they do. :rolleyes:

Although rumour has it that there are still dinosaurs that install them.

There you go assuming again. ;)

BTW if you were installing the hot and cold water system in a large new build with ample head height with say 4 showers , two bathrooms , utility room and kitchen and the mains flowrate is measured at 14/L minute with no hope of upgrading what system would you propose?

There you go assuming again.
Not recognising the benefits of vented only displays your ignorance of the system. :rolleyes:

Is the assuming re installing or installers?
:D :D :D

I posted a reward recently for the first who can give me a reasonable/realistic advantage that open vent rubbish offers over mains/sealed.

The reward was drink as much as you want/can for the evening/night.

The offer still stands.
Either there are no proper drinkers on this forum, or they don't like their drinks payed for by me.

Just so you know; the arguments "we have always done it that way" and " it is cheaper than doing it properly" don't cut ice for me.

it is cheaper than doing it properly

OOh I see.
So water dribbling out off the taps in a property where poor mains flowrate is the norm is your idea of doing it properly then. :rolleyes:

Can you answer my previous question?

So water dribbling out off the taps in a property where poor mains flowrate is the norm is your idea of doing it properly then. :rolleyes:

The water company has an obligation to supply a minimum pressure which is enough to run a combi or unvented cylinder. If the pipe work is up to spec, it will work.

Can you answer my previous question?
Which one of the many pointless ones would that be?

Are you going to claim the reward?

The water company has an obligation to supply a minimum pressure which is enough to run a combi or unvented cylinder. If the pipe work is up to spec, it will work.

except of course in a flat at the top of a cvonversion, or in the Thames water area where they cut the prseeure because of the leaks. Hey or on a job I did last year that is a mile from the road and utility says that they can't help. Or where you have three bathrooms.

Have to disagree here. The water companies obligation is to supply 1bar standing pressure, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I have some areas close by to me where the flow rate at the incoming stopcock is 11l/min, 1 bar standing and about 0.3bar running, the water company has washed their hands of the problem. The main supply pipe is sufficiently sized in many cases. The solution in a couple of cases has been a break tank and pump or stored water, even an accumulator has limited benefit with such poor standing pressure.

BTW if you were installing the hot and cold water system in a large new build with ample head height with say 4 showers , two bathrooms , utility room and kitchen and the mains flowrate is measured at 14/L minute with no hope of upgrading what system would you propose?

And the question goes to Bangasman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back