Why do i have to fake my ID

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mother of one of my best friends died yesterday.

He is in the north of Eire. I want to fly out, give him a hug and fly back the next day.

I phoned Air Lingus and told them that my passport is out of date (as of 2021). Although Irish passport control are happy to accept my expired passport, Air Lingus won't. They have told me that they will accept a gym membership card so long as it has a photo.

I am currently sitting in the pub faking a gym membership card that I will get a local printer to print.

I really do not understand why an out of date official document is not acceptable but a faked gym membership is.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are you for real, a FAKED gym membership is not acceptable.

According to Air Lingus it is. My other half is from Belfast, a few years ago, at very short notice we had to fly to Belfast from Heathrow. This predates photo driving licences. Her passport had expired. Although we were not leaving the UK, they would not accept her old passport as being proof of ID. She paid for my ticket, her ticket and my stepson's ticket. They told her that they would accept a gym membership card so long as her name and photo were on the card.

I used a photo, glued it to a bit of paper (again fake details) and laminated it. The staff glanced at it and said nothing.

Just spotted its Eire so probably Donegal? Ryanair used to do a flights from Stansted to Derry, they were packed out, no idea why they stopped.

Blup

The stupidity of some "officials" is endless.
Once I needed to withdraw £4k from my bank and my passport had expired a week before.
They said it was not a valid ID.
I asked what they needed the ID for and they said it was to identify myself.
So, naturally I said that a week before I was the person holding that passport, but because it had expired I was not anymore.
After all I wasn't travelling, but they refused point blank, even the manager.
Had to go back home and find my driving licence buried in the back of a kitchen drawer.
Went back to the bank and the same woman mentioned that I looked very young in the DL picture.
No shyt, I was 18 when I got that licence, so she was happy to identify me from a picture which was not me anymore (but a young handsome man) but not from a passport expired a week before.
I closed my account that day despite the begging from every employee on duty that day who tried to convince me not to do so.
Fools.

The stupidity of some "officials" is endless.
Once I needed to withdraw £4k from my bank and my passport had expired a week before.
They said it was not a valid ID.
I asked what they needed the ID for and they said it was to identify myself.
So, naturally I said that a week before I was the person holding that passport, but because it had expired I was not anymore.
After all I wasn't travelling, but they refused point blank, even the manager.
Had to go back home and find my driving licence buried in the back of a kitchen drawer.
Went back to the bank and the same woman mentioned that I looked very young in the DL picture.
No shyt, I was 18 when I got that licence, so she was happy to identify me from a picture which was not me anymore (but a young handsome man) but not from a passport expired a week before.
I closed my account that day despite the begging from every employee on duty that day who tried to convince me not to do so.
Fools.
In the early days of on-line banking my bank kept asking me to use it, I kept telling them I knew too much about the platform to trust it. Things are better today, but they weren't good in the early days.

When I use my expired DL for ID, I get told they cannot accept it.
I tell them it is accepted as ID when voting, so why won't they accept it?

Sponsored Links
Back