Why do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it builders insist on fitting split load cu's with 30ma rcds (instead of 100ma) as standard to new-build houses, grrrrrrr really annoys me, a fly farts and the cu trips...

Sponsored Links
The law requires that downstairs socket circuits MUST have 30ma or below, RCD protection as per Part P and BS7671:2001.

Any socket circuit that may reasonably expected to supply equipment out of doors must be so protected.

ban-all-sheds said:
kai said:
The law requires that downstairs socket circuits MUST have 30ma or below, RCD protection
Which law is that?

The same law that says I don't have to name the law that says that :LOL:

Sorry, been reading an overview of a literacy work by joseph hellier :oops: :confused:

@OP - its cheaper than a none split with RCBOs, and some rcd protection is necessary, at least one socket would be likely to be used outside, possibly more, and they might be on different rings, you might use the one in the hallway to vacuum the car out on the drive, the one in the kitchen near the back door to mow the lawn, and one near an upstairs window to run a rope light round the guttering at christmas, then there is the shower which is a good idea to have an rcd on, and split load becomes the cheapest way to meet the design requirements

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
The same law that says I don't have to name the law that says that :LOL:

Sorry, been reading an overview of a literacy work by joseph hellier :oops: :confused:
446.jpg

If that picture doesn't show up, and you can't force it to display, go to http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=446 - the pathetics that run the site don't like hot-linking. In fact, to teach the idiots a lesson, please visit it 10 times a day, clearing your browser cache before each visit...

Do the regs state a 30ma rcd device for use on a domestic split CU? - god damn it, I though it was down to common sense, these damn 30ma rcd's just nuicence trip when you have flatulence, damn things grrrrr - impractical for domestics - surely a 100ma is just as effective? - but less of the nuicence tripping when you fire that bouncy castle up <hides behind couch for cover LOL>

yeh and your heart stops at 50mA

100mA will be laughing whilst your heart tries to beat at 50hz until it decides to trip at 100mA by this time your hearts probrably had enough and the next stop is a 6ft deep hole

Screwi said:
Do the regs state a 30ma rcd device for use on a domestic split CU?
471-16-01 A socket outlet rated at 32A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii).

412-06-02 (ii) the residual current device shall have a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA....

WTF do you think that every packaged split-load domestic CU on the market comes with a 30mA RCD?

ban-all-sheds said:
WTF do you think that every packaged split-load domestic CU on the market comes with a 30mA RCD?

Thought it was just to **** me off...

what i do wonder is why it is considered acceptable to have a setup whereby a single faulty appliance can take out most of the house (minus any stuff on the non-rcd side but that often tends to be the stuff thats least effected by a short term power loss)?

RCBOs are better but only slightly as you still lose every socket on the floor.

RCD sockets are the best soloution but are horriblly overpriced.

one method i've seen in university labs is to put rcds at the end of the benches (40A cu style ones in modular boxes). That way they are easilly accesible to be reset. cover sufficiantly little stuff each that its feasible to test them regularlly and double up as a hany means of cutting power to everything the bench.

Oh I dont know - I did for a number of years... I used to go home for a few hours most days, just to keep my hand in like, but certainly most of my life was in the lab..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back