Why does the average university student appear to lack brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at those idiots revelling in their house party and then wondering why they are all coming down with the virus never ceases to amaze me. If they are that thick, what does it say about the university requirements for those starting a degree course?

One thing that sticks in my mind from years ago was those Oxford or Cambridge students who traditionally jump off of a bridge into a river at a certain time of year. The brightest of the brightest you would imagine. Only this particular year, there was a drought and hardly any water in the river. One jumps, breaks a leg, next one jumps, breaks a leg, another jumps, breaks his arm, another one jumps, breaks his back and so on. Unbelievably thick!

Edit: Here you go

Sponsored Links
They've come all this way from nursery, infant, juniors and secondary school. They have survived! They are immortal! Nothing can harm them!

Ooops!

Regarding jumping off the bridge, one suspects alcohol May be a contributing factor.

Degree's don't teach common sense or the real world, or how not to be so selfish. Some probably have just started to learn to cook for the first time in their lives...! (I flat shared with a 26 year old who asked me how to boil an egg, I kid you not. His mum had done everything until he left home for uni..).

That said, I do actually feel a little sorry for them. Uni is about having fun too.

Sponsored Links
From the link: "But at least 100 drunken people, many of them students"

So, not even just students!

Anyway, once again a minority of people do something, then everybody starts saying they're all doing it. Total BS.
if 2.38 million students were all partying and getting covid, you'd have a point, but that is not the case.

People said the same about the BLM protests, but were many were strangely quiet about the anti-vax, anti-mask protests, football celebrations, etc.

The problem is we just opened all schools and unis again. That's about 10.5 million people suddenly mixing with others every day. Even with social distancing there will be some spreading of the virus.

That is common sense. Surprised nobody else spotted it - thankfully I went to a good uni.

From the link: "But at least 100 drunken people, many of them students"

So, not even just students!

Anyway, once again a minority of people do something, then everybody starts saying they're all doing it. Total BS.
if 2.38 million students were all partying and getting covid, you'd have a point, but that is not the case.

People said the same about the BLM protests, but were many were strangely quiet about the anti-vax, anti-mask protests, football celebrations, etc.

The problem is we just opened all schools and unis again. That's about 10.5 million people suddenly mixing with others every day. Even with social distancing there will be some spreading of the virus.

That is common sense. Surprised nobody else spotted it - thankfully I went to a good uni.

Which uni's teach common sense? I don't recall it being on the curriculum, maybe I went to a bad one.

I went to Coventry, there was more to it than just learning core texts. Cannot recall many details now though, but there was certainly a focus on developing transferable skills and understanding how we can use what we were learning in work.

I went to Coventry, there was more to it than just learning core texts. Cannot recall many details now though, but there was certainly a focus on developing transferable skills and understanding how we can use what we were learning in work.

Oh, none of that at mine. Just 3 subjects first year (No modules) all or nothing exam at end of year, second year 2 subjects (no modules) all or nothing exam at end of year. Third, 1 main subject plus dissertation (No modules). Finals, do or die exams. No career guidance and certainly no "pastoral" subjects.

18 year olds, just left home, total freedom, surrounded by people the same age, access to drink, drugs, sex.

What could possibly go wrong.

Nothing to do with common sense or intelligence. They are a generation brought up to believe they're entitled. Entitled to have parties, to have a social life, to have all the Freshers fun, to have beer, to not have a Mars bar in a food parcel. They believe these are their human rights. That's where it's all gone wrong.

The experiment hasn't worked. Close the universities and send them all home after two weeks self-isolation. Make them wait a year.

They are a generation brought up to believe they're entitled.

Every generation, people say the same thing about the next generation.
People don't change, they just get older and forget what it is to be young.

Stay young. And don't blame the kids, they are not making the rules. Yet.

“We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”
The Conduct of Young People, Hull Daily Mail, 1925

“Many [young people] were so pampered nowadays that they had forgotten that there was such a thing as walking, and they made automatically for the buses… unless they did something, the future for walking was very poor indeed.”
Scottish Rights of Way: More Young People Should Use Them, Falkirk Herald, 1951

“[Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.”
Rhetoric, Aristotle, 4th Century BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back