why have 2 drain cocks for CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi riend asked me to replace faulty rad valve and when i went to drain down the heating found 2 drain cocks right next to each other, this is on a build of around 10 years old is this a new thing

Sponsored Links
if it is a system boiler then one drain down for CH and the other for the HW cylinder, if its a combi then one for flow pipework and other for return not as common but good practice

if it is a system boiler then one drain down for CH and the other for the HW cylinder, if its a combi then one for flow pipework and other for return not as common but good practice

System boiler with megaflow, but fernox in both pipes, all houses had them (had a quick check) up in wishaw

If it's a two pipe system then there should ideally be 2 drains - one at the lowest point of each pipe. Depending on system layout there may be multiple low points which should all ideally have drain points.

Of course, some installers pay lip service and may fit a notional drain point which doesn't really drain the system and leaves a lot of pipework still filled. And if your one of the numpties employed by BG to install the system in my mates bungalow (before he had it), it won't work because they'll have melted the washer while soldering it in :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Normally a good idea to have drain off 's on all drops or design it so the flow and return are put outside at their lowest point

Saves the hassle of dragging a hosepipe halfway across the house

There are a couple of points under our floors where there's a couple of old taps leading to an inconspicuous 1/2" tapped bush (with plastic plug) in the wall outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back